tag along bikes

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I see them on the street sometimes & seem to be working OK, but have no experience with them - have thought to make one into a trailer

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
i've had the same thought... and they are super cheap on craigslist... thinking about picking up 2... use one as is and like you're saying convert the other to a cargo trailer...

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I see them on the beach trail and they're a little unstable at low speeds with kids on them. I think using it as a trailer with a well balanced load would follow you much easier than a passenger, and much lighter too.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Would make an awesome pusher. Especially on a bike you want to keep in original bicycle form.
That's what I was thinking too... Someone could put the engine on the tag along then they could convert any bike they own at any time. The throttle could be converted to throttle by wire using an RC servo so that would make it even easier to move from one bike to the other. The centrifugal clutch kit and a pull starter would make it even more convenient, and it could be added as a second engine to one that's already motorized for better acceleration or hill climb ability.

As far as stability goes, a utility trailer might be a better idea tho, but anything could be made from something like this to fit one's needs.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I wonder how they preform at higher speeds with little uns' on them though? How fast would you go with a kid on the back?

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
well... you saw my other trailer... had it up to just shy of 40 at times with her on it and she was cool as a cucumber... i plan to ease her into it to begin with, but once i know shes comfortable i've got no problem cruising right along... she's used to being on the back of snowmobiles on the trails and out on the open lakes... i don't really see much of an issue there...

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
far as converting to a pusher... wouldn't i have to add a boat load of weight to it just to maintain traction... i see a lot of spinning tire with just a motor on the tag-along...

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
cool beans, Ive ridden around with my lad on the back seat of my bike in the parking lot (I was peddln, but I made sure he had a good hold onto my belt) and I've traveled across austin with him in a trailer at top speeds, I think these are probably the next step towards gettin him on his own bike once he gets too big for the "Toater"(trailer) :)

PS. wouldnt the weight of the motor and battery or whatever other bits you added to the pull along weigh it down enoufgh to keep from rubber burning? Ive only heard of that on Front wheel hub motors.

Last edited:

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
haha, that's why i just reinforced the trailer lol course, i got the thing for free and when i got it, it was already pretty old... but at this point it'll hold well over 100 lbs. made the best out of what i had... i may pull the sides long enough to replace the deck... it's t111 at the moment... i'd like to replace it with some 3/4 advantech... lose the canvas completely...