Just in fun ? 1st step with new engine kit

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay the fed ex truck pulls up, you take your box to where ever you plan to use it. You open your box and see all the bits and pieces. What was the first constructive thing you did on your very first build.....

I had two options of frames to use. I tried to fit it to both before I finally decided on the sissy bike. I moved the motor so many times my arthritic shoulder was killing me. I'm sure there was something I should have done first but that was my first move. Deciding what it fit. I had no idea if all the parts were there or not.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Re: Just in fun ?

first thing i did was mount the motor. i was so darn proud. i stepped back to admire my work and i was :confused: kept looking at it then realized i had mounted it backwards with the sproket facing the front tire rotfl. true story

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: Just in fun ?

I couldn't even get mine mounted, nothing fit. I knew right then it was going to break my heart and it did.

giddyuperic

Dec 3, 2014
southern california
Hey guys and gals got the beach cruiser running the other day. I would not start for the life of me. I tried and tried and finally found out the clutch was just enough off to not draw in fuel. So get her running and let me say. WHAT A BLAST LOVE IT GOES JUST FAST ENOUGH FOR THIS OLD MAN NOW!!! It had been 15 years since I rode a bike smile ear to ear love it. putting the chain thing on that goes under the case so it won't bind. and a spring loaded tensioner too. Can you tell me how do you keep the tank in one place? I don't want to crank down on the bolts I think they will rip right out of the tank. So please if any other ways of mounting it would be very help full. And is there any people that ride together in southern California? I am in Riverside would like to ride with some other people. Thanks and one word WOW

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Congratulations, giddyuperic!

"and finally found out the clutch was just enough off to not draw in fuel" I gotta admit I don't really know just what this means. But it doesn't matter, anyway. You've gotten through it and it's no longer an issue.

I just know there's plenty of riders in Southern Cal. You'll find them sooner or later.

I'm curious; why did you post this in this very old and very dead thread?

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Thinking about it a bit, giddyuperic, keep your eyes open for a member by the name of 'bairdco' and another by the name of 'sportscarpat" (I think he's the proprietor of "Sportsman Flyer". A sponsor of this site. And he builds bikes that can legitimately be called crafstman-like.)

Also "Venice Motor Bikes". Another sponsor. Southern Cal and the LA area are big, of course. You might or might not be very close to them.

But these are people who you'd like.

giddyuperic

Dec 3, 2014
southern california
I think with the clutch it was not letting the engine make a full stroke on the intake so no fuel was getting in the cylinder. Any way she is running tops now. What do you gays do about the tank? I don't want to keep tighting the bolts for fear they might rip out of the tank???

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I suppose it's true that you might rip those studs out if you torque down hard enough. But you ought to be able to tighten it to the point that the tank doesn't tip easily.

But you must be having trouble with this. Or you wouldn't ask, I suppose.

You might consider wrapping your top tube in something that'll add a bit of friction. Duct tape is the first thing that comes to mind. But it might not help all that much.

Maybe some of that goopy, black, spray-on undercoating? That sounds like a mess, though.

Maybe glue? But you'd want it to be water-proof. Contact cement?

Have you got a narrower than normal top tube? Is that what's causing the trouble?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I like some double-sided tape under the tank & some old inner tube wrapped around the top bar right at the mounting bolts if it is curved enough to high-center the tank.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The latest bike I built I put thin rubber at the mounts and got the tank right where I wanted it and tightened it down pretty good, then turned the bike up side down and used my caulking gun with clear silicone and filled all the voids along the tube. The tank has not move from day one. This I did before installing the engine.