BrettMavrik's Production Bobber Frame For Builders Has Begun...

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
W'zup Choppah Heads,

I am please to announce that I am almost finished with a production chopper frame that will be available very soon. It is a Frisco Bobber style in that it is long and low, with straight line tubes and nice angles. The frame results in a bike with a 5 foot wheelbase, and the rake of the fork is completely nuetral in its' handling characteristics like a BMX bike. It's all in the frame design.
This bike utilizes the parts from a donor Schwinn Stingray, so you get the super fat 4.25" rear wheel and skinny tall wheel up front, along with the wider cranks. This frame makes for a bike that is very comfortable and will fit anyone from 5'6" to 6'3".
The reason for this is the bike will not have anywhere to insert a bicycle seat post.
Instead, I have a line on a motorcycle aftermarket bobber solo seat that has a pivot and 3" long suspension springs. There is no bike seat available that will provide the comfort and support of this seat. So therefore the seat can slide up or down the top tube of the frame to get it just where you want it.
This frame is made heavy duty, fully welded, but still light weight. You can reuse the Stock Stingray front fork, but I recommend a 30" springer fork to get the full "Bobber" effect. I will be building custom springers for less in the near future.
The frames will have a core charge; meaning I will need a donor frame sent to me for the build. Well, not the whole frame.... =-]' Simply cut off the head tube, bottom bracket tube for the cranks, and the rear wheel cage. This can be done with a cutoff wheel or hacksaw. Leave me an inch of the body tubes still connected to these parts. I will smooth them off the pieces I need myself. This will save a ton on shipping. (Like $11 as opposed to $35.) Send me your pieces, and in 10-14 days I will have a new Frisco Bobber frame sent to you to begin your build by adding you own custom handlebars (drag bars, apes, or something in between) paint, etc. It's yours to customize.
The bike is so nice and stretched, you can actually add a 2.4 gallon peanut tank for a motorcycle on it. Imagine the range.....

Also, for this frame there will be a production clamshell design isolated motor mount bracket and jackshaft assembly for sale as an option. simply bolt up the engine, add the jackshaft gearing, 5 speed freewheel, a 5 speed derailer, and a grip shifter and you are ripping through the gears like on my Orange Coast Chopper. I will also add the ABS Slotted Idler Wheels to keep the chain at bay under speed.

Just thought there might be an interest in getting an adult sized, fat rear tire buildable chopper frame for people who like choppers that ride and handle awesome, or people that have been thinking about it, but didn't have much option.

Here is some photos of what I have so far.
Let's get some response as I need some feedback.

Rock On!
'BrettMavriK.shft.

Attachments

Last edited:

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
Great idea Brett....but not enough rake for my taste. Needs to be more like 47-50 degrees to make it look REALLY good. As it sits now its way too upright....like you ran it into a wall. Just my opinion....but the idea of a chopper/bike frame is a winner.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Glad you noticed that, man...
This is a Frisco Bobber design. The bike is designed to have the attitude of a chopper but the performance of a racer like they did to the old Triumphs back in the day. Hence, it is really a Bobber, and not a Chopper. Choppers came from the school of "how wild can I get and still go down the road without killing myself" appeal. It made for bikes that were inherently dangerous. If you notice the motorcycle chopper world that is going on now in the magazines, you will see there has been a transition from Glamorific and Chromosexual Choppers that have been out the last few years. Bikes are going back to their roots as everything else in the world. In the magazines, you will notice the transition.

OLD SCHOOL IS BACK!!!!!

Also, the fork in the photos has zero additional rake. The stock Stingray Fork has 10 more degrees of additional rake which would put it about where you would like it.
Anything is possible......

'BrettMavriK

Great idea Brett....but not enough rake for my taste. Needs to be more like 47-50 degrees to make it look REALLY good. As it sits now its way too upright....like you ran it into a wall. Just my opinion....but the idea of a chopper/bike frame is a winner.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
Wow! Those are going to be the starting point for some awesome MBs! I can vouch for the comfort of the seat you are going to use. I have one on my bike and highly recommend it. I am planning to use the same seat on my next? build, a Jesse James Chopper. Will you make a sliding bracket for the rear springs of the seat to rest on also?

Attachments

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Yes,
The seat will have a "Y" bracket that holds the pivot as well as the springs, and then a nice fat clamp to go around the bike frame tubing underneath. This allows the whole seat assembly to slide up and down the tube to get it just where it suits you.

'BrettMavriK

Wow! Those are going to be the starting point for some awesome MBs! I can vouch for the comfort of the seat you are going to use. I have one on my bike and highly recommend it. I am planning to use the same seat on my next? build, a Jesse James Chopper. Will you make a sliding bracket for the rear springs of the seat to rest on also?

Last edited:

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
i think it looks great. are you going to make some motor-ready? meaning, will you add some tubing or something, so a guy can just throw a motor on without having to fabricate his own mounts?

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Yes, there will be a separate clamshell motor mount / jackshaft mount option made for this frame, so it's all a bolt-on affair. It will make for a fun and easy build on an adult sized chopper.

Hey Inzane!
Yep, the frame is made spacious, so if you want to go Non-Happy Time motor, you have plenty of room.

Here is a photo of the spring loaded seat which will have a y-mount made that will enable the seat to slide up and down the frame for exact rider size positioning...

'BrettMavriK

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
i think it looks great. are you going to make some motor-ready? meaning, will you add some tubing or something, so a guy can just throw a motor on without having to fabricate his own mounts?
Brett's making these at the shop. We've been talking about making an installation kit to go with the frames that would be simular to the kit I am making for the Jaguar.

The idea here is to build a frame and a few other components so that a nice lightweight motorcycle with pedals can be built.

Brett is a good welder/fabricator...I am not. The combined manufacturing talents could be used to produce an ergonomically correct bike...especially for taller riders.

For me a huge benefit to this comes from the fact that the bike will be made of U.S. steel, and manufactured according to U.S. techniques. In other words you will not end up with a frame and parts that are of suspect quality. At 30mph this can be a good thing!

The OCC's are a bit small, the Spoilers are hard to find...

Any interest in this guys? I realize it would be a lot easier to comment on a finished bike, but we are hoping to get a yay/nay early on.

Jim

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
Brett's making these at the shop. We've been talking about making an installation kit to go with the frames that would be simular to the kit I am making for the Jaguar.

Any interest in this guys? I realize it would be a lot easier to comment on a finished bike, but we are hoping to get a yay/nay early on.

Jim
if it were me doing this, which it isnt, i would also have some mount kits available for some in-frame four-strokes, like the ones simpsonmotorbikes has

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
That would be putting the cart before the horse on this path right now.
Right now, the focus is a ready-made, buildable adult chopper style frame
with an easy bolt-on rubber isolated happy time engine and a jackshaft mount.
We want to produce something for the builder to build and sell bikes that aren't the
every day beach cruisers.

Something with attitude and cool factor.

The tank and fender I will be using is arriving next week.
This will allow everyone to see the true potential of COOL this bike will have.
I am confident that it's going to twist some heads clean off..... =-]'

'BrettMavriK

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Well,
I'm in a holding pattern until the tank and fender arrive later this week, so I thought I'd show the fruits of my research that led me to the inspiration of this new bobber frame...
My build on this new frame will resemble these; especially this red one:

more to come....

'BrettMavriK

Attachments

Last edited:

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
All of which seem to have a bit more "rake" than is built into your prototype. A great idea....but the geometry need to be looked at again.IMHO of course.usflg

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
There is an additional 10-15 degrees of Rake built into the stock Stingray fork.

The one I used for the mock up had zero degrees built in for a good reason...
This allows one to dial-in the handling characteristics and look of the bike by choosing the additional rake in the fork. with a "zero degree" fork, the handling is completely nuetral; meaning there is no "pull" feeling when you steer. I've ridden the bike with the zero fork and it handles like a dream.

Personally, I am more for "GO" than "SHOW".... Performance Will Always Take Precedence...
Once again, this is a "BOBBER" by Design. If you still don't think it's enough rake on this bobber, then go buy a super raked out chopper on ebay or elsewhere. Just make sure to slow down around the corners, watch out for sand and puddles, and by all means, wear a full helmet and leathers. I'd rather not promote potential death traps just for looks.

I'm going to go back down to the shop tomorrow, and if I have time, I'll put on the stock Stingray fork and take a photo for you to see the difference.
'BrettMavriK

All of which seem to have a bit more "rake" than is built into your prototype. A great idea....but the geometry need to be looked at again.IMHO of course.usflg

Last edited:

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
The Tank & Fender Have Arrived

The Tank & Fender Have Arrived...
Awesome!

These are going to work very well. I can't wait to bring them to the shop tomorrow.
I'm going for that Caroll Shelby look on this bike. It will have a silver frame with whitewalls on
silver rims.

'BrettMavriK

Attachments

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
The RAKE issue...

Allrighty,

I've been getting much feedback on the rake of this frame in the photos, so I may have to bend
to the will of others on this.... =-]'

Herein lies the problem:
If buyers plan to reuse the stock Stingray fork, there is an additional 10-15 degrees built into that thing, which gets the look just right. This rake does add "pull" into the castor of the fork and steering isn't perfectly neutral, which I am fond of neutral. But, if one decides to use an aftermarket fork, or a fork off of , say a Jesse James West Coast Chopper which is much nicer, they all are at zero degrees for the most part.
Solution:
I add 5 more degrees of rake to this frame.
This will make the steering 5 degrees off of neutral for a zero degree fork. Moreover, when you put the Stingray fork back on, it will Really have a rake. I am only making one jig for now, so I have to decide on the final rake for this bike.

I could allow about 5 more degrees, but that would be it.
Let's get some more feedback on this.

'BrettMavriK

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.