Engine kit for schwinn occ chopper

GoldenMotor.com

redsel

Jul 27, 2015
decatur il
What is the best inexpensive engine kit for a schwinn stingray occ chopper? It will be ridden occasionally by a 150 lb. adult, about 5`9". Have been told that many engine / kits will not fit / work on occ chopper. Please advise. Would prefer the least amount of alteration possible.
Thanks,
redsel

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
special motor mount adapters are available in usual places - chain run & brakes may need special attention too

check the many pics of finished bikes like yours for ideas

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm also in the process of building one but put mine on hold until I have more time for it, but I got my mounts from pedalchopper.com , you can do a lot of this yourself but you can get an offset mount or a set of billet mounts depending on what you want... The offset mount looks ok and makes it real easy to install the engine, then the billet mounts are for more of a custom look, they're a little pricy but they will look the best. Pedalchopper also has the Manic type hub adapter with a selection of rear sprocket sizes and a few other goodies just for the OCC stingray bikes.
You can also use the original back tire or a 4.00x16, and possibly a 4.50x16 motorcycle tire will fit the rim if you plan on going fast. Pedalchopper's link is on the side of this page so check them out for some of their solutions to motorizing one of these.
What you can do on your own tho is beef up the frame since these are known to crack at the chain stay and the lower tube at the seat post area. A few extra gussets on the frame will prevent the cracking or you can run it as is but check it regularly.
The front forks on these aren't the best geometry and I've heard using a WCC chopper front end makes it handle much better but there are other aftermarket front ends that'll make it handle better as well.

Chicagostyles

Sep 11, 2015
Rockford
hey new to the chopper world and building a chopper right now. wondering whats the diference between 2 stroke and 4? with is best for my occ chopper 20inch? thanks for any tips

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I strongly suggest Pedalchopper.com for Occ needs.
Jim Wilson (owner) is a great guy to buy from and very helpful even just answering your questions.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Considering the limited frame space on these, you do need a small engine that can make decent power output so this is definitely best done with a 2 stroke engine, tho there are a few 4 strokes out there that can fit the bill... I got all the billet mounts and such to install a CG engine but I also got an older Morini engine that's looking for a home and I may go that route since it can put out triple the power a CG can and it takes up close to the same amount of space, AND it has a built in CVT drive which makes the deal even sweeter. If I decide to use the Morini it's going to take some fab work to get it in there, but if I use a CG I can just assemble one of the Dax bottom ends I got in my stock room since the Super Rat I originally built for it won't bolt to the billet mounts without modification.

If you want to go with a Morini engine you can buy the weld in mount plates from Treatland then the engine will just bolt right in or out, and you can get the CVT version of the engine from them if they have it in stock for about $400, it puts out 3.9hp in stock trim, but it can put out closer to 10hp with a better reed box and bigger carb.
Thatxdax.com also has an 8.5hp Morini clone for under $500, that one is single speed but put a Tomar clutch on it and tune it to your liking it would be an excellent powerplant. Dax also sells KTM clone engines that are good and put out 9.5hp but you'll be on your own for coming up with how to mount it, and you'd get better help for souping up the Morini if you chose to get that one.
If you want to go with a CG engine I'd recommend the billet mounts sold at Pedalchopper.com, they're a bit expensive, but they're by far the nicest mounts you can get for the Stingray with a CG engine. He does sell the cradle type mount if your budget is tight and you're not going for show bike quality or looks. You should gusset up the frame too once you decide which engine or mount set you're going to use, but get the engine, the mounts, and all before you start beefing up the frame so you don't add gussets where a bracket might need to go later. I'm leaving ine bare metal until I'm sure which engine I'm going to use just for that reason, then going to install the engine and mounting system on the bare frame to take measurements, then once I know what kind of free space I got I can go in and add some gussets and strengtheners where needed without having to worry about having to cut one out later to fit a mount etc...

I'm sure you figured out by now that I'm all about using the 2 stroke engines due to their simplicity, their power output, and they're real easy to considerably increase the power output without breaking your wallet to shreds if you need a little, or a lot more out of your engine.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I strongly suggest Pedalchopper.com for Occ needs.
Jim Wilson (owner) is a great guy to buy from and very helpful even just answering your questions.
I definitely agree here... He has all the good stuff for these bikes as well as upgraded forks, wheels, jack shafts, 3 speed wheels, and you name it, he has a solution for it...

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Just managed to pick one of these beauties up. Before I slap the 198cc 7hp DuroMax e-start engine I got for it though, Ive gotta swap the fork for a DNM USD-8 and build new wheels for it. Thinkin of a 170mm 10 speed hub for the rear, and because the fork has a 20mm TA, I gotta make sure that front hub is compatible. Gonna slap 203mm brake rotors on it with Shimano XT hyrdos. Already got a 1200lm headlamp on it.
20190620_161025.jpg
Anyone around boise who can weld an IS mount to the seatstay? Oh, does anyone also know where I can get replacement decals? If I can't get OEM, theres a place nearby who will make new ones.