Wow.....thought I was on the wrong site...

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
As a former electric rc racer, I can tell you electrics do NOT lack speed, just duration. When batteries catch up to motors, I'll be going electric quickly.
I have loved engines my entire life, and electric still have the thrills I seek.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As a former electric rc racer, I can tell you electrics do NOT lack speed, just duration. When batteries catch up to motors, I'll be going electric quickly.
I have loved engines my entire life, and electric still have the thrills I seek.
Not me. When internal combustion engines are outlawed, only outlaws will have internal combustion engines. They'll have to pry my throttle from my cold dead hands :)

There is just something about the sound and feel of an ICE that electrics will never be able to provide for me. Speed? Torque? Acceleration? Maybe the voltage folks can match it but they'll never provide that 'feel' and 'sound' I get with a gasoline powered engine. I'll never build an electric bike, or own an electric car. Dinosaur mentality, I know, but then I'll freely admit to being basically Jurassic.

Tom

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I used to agree with your opinion Tom, but the first time I grabbed a handfull of throttle on a 1/6 scale electric truck and it did a standing back flip made me rethink my attitude! The sheer power of that thing was seriously insane! (just how I like it!) That truck would throw a ten foot roost and literally would not allow full throttle at any speed under 50mph without flipping!
But until batteries catch up, I'm still a gasaholic.
Brushless motor tech is really moving along and it needs only batteries that are up to the task to really be a viable option.
Until you feel what electrics can offer, I strongly urge you to keep an open mind.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I check in my neighborhood stop sign areas and in more major traffic places constantly. What I Always look for is if I think somebody is about to pull into the street see's. I have to follow my instincts and pretend I am invisible. Do I think the driver turned their head and saw me before pulling right out in front of me??

On my bike I whip the throttle and get that perfectly tuned two stroke sound. Their heads look and I know my presence is known. Just last week I know good and well for a fact this one fellow would have dang well just pulled out right in front of me!

Lends me to think that 30 mph electrics are not bad. Don't want to be playing with the darn thing with ludicrous power and have to stop it all of a sudden?

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Yeah, if you have a quiet bike it definitely helps to assume nobody sees you, or sees you and wants to get a better look and will do dumb maneuvers.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have ALWAYS ridden and driven as though EVERYONE was actively trying to kill me.
It has served me well over my driving career.

I'm invisible and have hundred dollar bills taped to my forehead is how I drive.
They will have to WORK at it to run me over.
Had some close calls though, which would have been much worse had I not seen it coming.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Everyone in entitled to have their own preference. I love both gassers and electrics but for being able to cruise around my place daily without any hassles, I prefer my electric.
I've ridden my bike more in the last two weeks than I've ridden it as a gasser in the last 3+ years. It's great because I ride anytime during the day and that includes past midnight. I can ride in the park, streets sidewalks and no one bothers me. (except for my lights being too bright) Best part is I can enjoy my ride without being asked a much of questions. By the time they see me, its too late. LOL
After my experience, all I can say is: "Never say Never"

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I'm planning my 3rd build to be electric. An electric build is very different. There are more challenges I think, which can make it really exciting. Has anyone seen the 'Killacycle'? It will change your views about electric...