Shift kit tire rub

GoldenMotor.com

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
I installed a shift kit on my baby. Only problem is I got some tire wear. I checked the distance of the tire from the chain when the chain is in 1st gear and there is no rub. But when I placed some paint on the side of the tire to check for tire wear, because there is visible signs of wear, the paint was rubbed off. I moved the gear further toward the frame by adding 1 washer. Any advice?

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
I think you might be able to space the crank (& jack shaft) sprockets away from the frame with some creativity & a few washers. ;)
I moved the sprocket away from the crank toward the frame by inserting small washers. This was to make sure the chains don't touch. But this has pushed the chain that powers the back wheel into the tire. Can I move the crank away from the frame with like big washers?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I would like to see photos of the interference you are seeing. Don't know for sure but it sounds like the chainrings may not be assembled correctly but only a photo will let me know for sure.

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
I would like to see photos of the interference you are seeing. Don't know for sure but it sounds like the chainrings may not be assembled correctly but only a photo will let me know for sure.
It was something really simple. The brake arm was rubbing on the tire. But every now and them when I am running at high speed the engine sounds like it over revs. I was wondering if it was the chains hitting. I spaced the chainrings further apart by placing washers. What could it be?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
First thing I would check is your derailleur. What you are describing sounds very similar to it trying to jump gears. Check that your derailleur is adjusted correctly and that the chain is not trying to either jump up or down a gear from where you want it to be.