scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just a little test here while at Death Race 2011

YouTube - Testing GOPR0385.MP4

and one more

YouTube - Testing GOPR0387.MP4

I will post the Main Event from my helmet cam in the Events forum under Death Race when uploaded....soon today.

Just a re-cap here on how the racing went for me.....these are not excuses for anything, just the way things went and to remind us how anything can happen.....good or bad.

The day before the race, I had my race bike running great. The little HS was turning over 9,000rpm's and hitting 36+ mph. Pat and I had the tandem running like a champ with a few minor mods for increased hp (like it really needed it... not) and faster accelleration.

So then I thought I'd perform one last trick to make my bike perform even better.....this was a mistake, shoulda left well enuf alone, but no, gotta have that edge as I knew that they're gonna be a few 4-strokes that were tricker than mine.

So here I go changing my air intake set-up from stock, to a bigger higher-flow set-up that ended up killing my top end performance. Infact it actually made my bike run terrible and ragged on the top end and I just let it go as there was no time left to correct my error. I should have stuck with the stock air cleaner as the engine was running better than ever, but no.....stupid me. All it really needed at this point to run great was a bigger main jet, or better yet a larger carb.....too late, it's race time.

So with all that aside I decide to focus on just racing the tandem as it was running stronger than ever and I solo-ed on the track to confirm. It felt great and I knew it would even handle better with a rear passenger (stoker). Finally Pat was feeling good about racing the tandem and feeling confident I was running my "A" game, so it was on! I really had high hopes now knowing the track "ok" and the power and gearing the tandem had was a great combination to place very well overall.

Well that all ended just off the starting line of our first heat race on the "beast"......snapped the rear axle and that was it for the tandem....a sad moment for us.

So to shorten this story while uploading some vids of this Death Race, I just raced my poor de-tuned 4-stroke that only turned 7,200rpm and top speed was a whimpy 32mph. But all told, it was a GREAT day of racing that I wouldn't have missed for the world!!!! A huge thanks to the sponsors, the track owner Charlie, Dave 31 and all the other great racers (you know who you are) and fans, it was a BLAST!!!!!!! It was also great meeting a bunch of familiar names from this forum and putting faces to them.....to name a few: Bairdco, AGK crew, Piston Bikes crew, KC Vale, Thud, Dave31, and on and on. A great group of people....too much FUN! Can't wait to do it again.....and Jeff (culvercityclassic), always a pleasure seeing and talkin to ya.....let's RIDE!

dnut

Last edited: