Replacing head gaskets

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I cant figure out how the block is secured to the rest of the motor, but the studs move a little. I will see if they turn tomorrow
The block is at the bottom of the studs. Are you referring to the jug the jug is where the piston travels up and down and has the cooling fins on it. You can use vice grips on the studs to tighten them, thing is use the vice grips at the base of the top of the jug so you don't strip the threads for bolting the head back on.

bimotocycle

Apr 20, 2011
South Florida
Yeah I guess im referring to the jug then, I went out to Bennett Auto and picked up a can of K&W Copper Gasket Sealant and put that on one side of the gasket and around the bottom of the head where it would meet up with the gasket and tightened it down. I know it dries really fast but I wanted to leave it overnight so it would be at full strength by the time I test it, and I also have to make a new gasket for my exhaust. I had to unbolt the exhaust to be able to move the motor around without having to totally remove it, and the gasket that was on there just separated into 2 pieces when I removed it. I bought some gasket paper also so I could make this. I might as well check the intake gasket also.

I'll be up and running in no time :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Habor Freight has a set of hollow hole punches pretty cheap too, this is what I use for the bolt holes and to get the initial hole in the center of the gaskets I make for my manic intake.

9 Piece Hollow Punch Set

I just use an ink pen to draw the outline on the intake flange on the gasket material and while holding it I trace inside the bolt holes, then lay the material on a block of wood and punch the hole with the punches, then I finish enlarging the port hole with an exacto knife.

Peace