I need some great tips here please!

GoldenMotor.com

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
This is my Trek 4300 and I just recently bought a shift kit and a large universal mount from SBP. Now.. I've seen one other guy on this forum with the same bike "Hawaiian Ed.. or whatever he name was) so I know this is probably possible.. I don't know where to go from here (look at the pictures). I can't seem to get this puppy to mount correctly! If it's in one spot the carb will fit, but the front motor mount won't. If the front motor mount fits then the carb fits without the air filter. See what I mean? Anyone here and any suggestions on how I can fit this setup?! Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Oh and if this is posted in the wrong section you can move it if you want. I just wasn't sure where this fell under.

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I would go ahead and mount the engine, then fab up a new intake or mod that one, maybe a 90% copper pipe fitting on the end of the intake and have the carb on the side or you could just shorten or buy a short straight intake. Or you could legthen the intake with a longer straight pipe or hose to go past and around the frame then mount carb.

Heres a hint: bring intake and carb to store when buying pipe,hose,or pipe fittings to make sure everything fits together.

But if you want cheap and easy just rubberband a airfilter without the housing around the end of the carb.

Did you check the sparkplug and boot clearance?doesnt look like much room.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I have no idea, but you could also just cut yours shorter using a hacksaw,remove from engine first,don't want metal shavings in your engine.

Last edited:

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
The problem seems to be the frame size. The other guy on the forum might have the same bike but a larger frame. A frame is measured from the center of the bottom bracket (the round part at the bottom of the frame) to the top of the seat tube (where the seat post enters the frame). I would say it should be a minimum of 18-19 inches to fit the engine comfortably. I could be wrong but your frame looks closer to 16 inches. Some frames say the size in inches or just measure it with a tape measurer. Let us know.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Offsetting the carb. should pose no problem/ I know someone in this forum has a pic of their bike with a tube that extends past the seat post down tube and my carb. actually is tilted about 5 degrees because I use a 24" mountain bike and the throttle cable doesn't clear the top tube. So I don.t think a little thing like putting a 90 degree elbow would hurt as long as your air cleaner isn't blocked by your leg or anything.

Attachments

Last edited:

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
yes the offset intake works ok...they now have them in stock...als0 you can purchace 2 or three intakes from jim in the scrap bin...i grind the back part to 40% and it while fit great with a regular mounted engine....i fill up the holes with instant steel...grind and than drill new holes...when you order from the scrap bin, ask for the shortest intake possible...the shorter the better...i have tried the spooky tooth reamidy and you loose a little power...or at least i did...good luck...Dennis

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
So extending the intake like spooky's decreases your power a little? Can anyone else confirm this?
And dag, do you know where I could purchase just that piece from where you bought it? Or is it just a kit thing?

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
just checked on manic mechanics sight...no scrap bin now...ha...jims intakes he has on his sight are short...perfect...or you can get it from pirate...if you want my offset intake, give me you address and i'll send it to you...(private message)