new motor will not start at all

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Could you post a photo of your engine installation? There might be something obvious that we'll see and make it easier help you.

Not being rude but I'm offering a suggestion here. If you'd use some punctuation in your posts they would be easier to read. They are all just one long sentence which makes them a little difficult to decipher.

Tom

jgd1127

Oct 13, 2015
dillsburg
Sorry I wasn't saying you didn't know anything. im just saying he broke his in with that ratio I will definitely try a 32:1 ratio that may be part of the issue as well.and sorry about my punctuation in not very good with writing but I will try to do better. And I will get you a photo posted tomorrow when it is light out just if you guys see anything please don't be rude just tell me and I will try to correct it this is my first small engine build I work on cars alot but am not use to the small engines thank you again

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
talking spark when motor won't turn is what I meant - get the clutch adjusted properly

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you can see sparks, its obviously turning the engine.
Loosen the ferrule, let the cable get just slack, and re-tighten it.

Then, try the 32:1 mix. Let us know what happens.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I second the 32 to 1 mix. It gets into a long discussion but the short of it is sometimes these just won't make enough compression to start new and a more volatile yet safe mix can help get it fired up the first time so the rings can start to seat. My trick is where I build there is a 6 story parking garage across the street with a big elevator. I go to the top floor and get going over 20, drop the clutch and spin the heckler out of it. I have had 2 or 3 that were stubborn and that helped them light up. I assemble all my motors now and don't have those issues but a few I got assembled out of the box did.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Heres the short reason...

@ 32:1 the mix has twice the gasoline, and twice the 'boom'.

Excessive (16:1) oil is actually worse for the engine than say, 32 or 40:1.

jgd1127

Oct 13, 2015
dillsburg
That makes sense thank you so what should I do drain the tank into my can then add a Gallon to the 1 gallon I already have mixed so I will be 16:1 and pull the plug and pedal I around a little with clutch out to blow out the bad fuel and drain the carb of the16:1 mix fuel and then try again and loosen my clutch cable a little ? Thank you for all your help again I wasn't trying to bee rude or say you didn't know what you were talking about just telling you that my friend used the 16:1 to break his in but what your saying makes more sense

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Things to check

1 Petcock valve is open
2 Fuel is traveling through the fuel filter
3 Carb bowl is full of fuel
4 No gas leaks in the line from tank to carb
5 No air leaks. The most common air leak places:
- Carb/intake connection
- Intake/Intake manifold connection
- Head gasket
- Exhaust manifold/pipe connection

6 Check clutch cable. Does it pull the clutch arm completely back when pulled and move it completely forward when released? Here is a video on setting up the clutch cable

7 When you release the clutch handle (engage the clutch) will it pump the piston and create compression as you spin the back wheel? When you pull the clutch handle in does the back wheel spin freely without pumping the piston? If both of these 2 things are not happening you will probably have to loosen or tighten the clutch plate. Also, make certain you don't get grease on the clutch plate or it might slip. Here is a video on how to adjust the clutch.

8 You might check the tightness of your chain. If it is too loose it could cause the rear wheel to jerk or skid upon start. Chains will normally stretch to become slightly longer with use.

Also, while I agree with others that say a 16x1 mix is too much oil, clearly it is, however, the engine should still start with a 16x1 mix. I don't think changing your mix ratio will fix your "failure to start" issue.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That makes sense thank you so what should I do drain the tank into my can then add a Gallon to the 1 gallon I already have mixed so I will be 16:1 and pull the plug and pedal I around a little with clutch out to blow out the bad fuel and drain the carb of the16:1 mix fuel and then try again and loosen my clutch cable a little ? Thank you for all your help again I wasn't trying to bee rude or say you didn't know what you were talking about just telling you that my friend used the 16:1 to break his in but what your saying makes more sense

Yes.
Do all that, let us know what happens.

jgd1127

Oct 13, 2015
dillsburg
Ok thanks Joe I will be doing that soon in a few hours here and Tyler I've checked all of these things my tires spins just fine with the chain how I have it it dont jerk or skod I have the spring loaded tensioner and there is like a 1/2 inch of play in chain but it does loosen when I trying to start it because of the extra torque on chain but seems to work fine and im almost positive there is no air leaks how would I know I the head was leaking and the motor has plenty of compression with spark plug in and it pumps good with it out and I think if the fuel foes have too much oil it will not start at all especially for the first time but we will see what I get when I go work on it today

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
If you can see sparks, its obviously turning the engine.
Loosen the ferrule, let the cable get just slack, and re-tighten it.
turning the motor with plug out is no guarantee that it turns with plug in

lack of motor sounds and lack of wetness on plug suggest that a proper clutch adjust may be all that's needed - adjusting only the cable won't do it

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not quite, it needs to be adjusted for correct tension - instructions are here on this board

jgd1127

Oct 13, 2015
dillsburg
Thank you Joe the 16:1 ratio was the problem I mixed up a 32:1 ratio peddled it like 15 feet the motor started spitting and sputtering so I kept peddling and bam it fired right up the clutch actually was fine it works great and now after riding it about a mile or so it starts right up after peddling one or two turns drop the clutch and she fires right up no problem runs like a champ thank you again Joe appreciate all the help

jgd1127

Oct 13, 2015
dillsburg
So anyone that gets a new motor do not put 16:1 in it will not start you will try everything except that and it still will not start 32:1 till its broken in then move to 40:1 and it will run perfectly