Too much slack

GoldenMotor.com

CorollaWil

Sep 1, 2015
Mass
So i read i need about 1/2" no more than 3/4" slack on the chain, but i have a good 2" of slack! This is real frustrating because the chain keeps getting jammed under the geat box cover. Now i tried removing chain links, i tried adding chain links on to the pedal chain and pulling the wheel back, but i STILL have that 2" slack on the chain. I tried removing the chain tensioner but that didnt help. I look at the sprocket and chain allignment and all seems pretty damned allign, besides an 1/8 of an inch wobble on thw sprocket, everything seems straight. What am i doing wrong? Is that 1/8" wobble something to take in consideration?? Let me know, thanks for the view.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Would it be possible to post a photo of your sprocket and chain installation? If you still have 2" of slack you're going to have problems.

1/8" wobble isn't excessive but any wobble isn't good. Try to get rid of it.

I'm not understanding why you can't tighten the chain with the tensioner. I could see it if the chain is simply too long but you said you've removed links.

A picture might help us give you some direction with this problem.

Tom

CorollaWil

Sep 1, 2015
Mass
Double post. So i adjust the motor a bit and was able to tughten the chain to a good 1/2" - 3/4" slack. I pedaled it a bit and it so far, the jamming under the gear cover hasnt appeared. I pray it wont happen again lol. But now im noticing that that 1/8" wobble is affecting the chain rollers to stay consistent with the sprocket teeth. So i have to play with that a bit.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just curious about what you mean by "adjusting the motor". The engine shouldn't move. How are you 'adjusting' it? The engine should be mounted solid to the frame of the bike. All chain tension adjustment should come from either the tensioner or moving the rear wheel (if you have horizontal drop outs).

I can't help you with posting photos from a phone. Someone else will have to offer some advice there.

Tom