TX biker, Looking For info.

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Hey guys,

I have a brand new one of these onyx 29" bikes

I want to put an engine on it but I'm not interested in any friction drives. I'm looking to find out what kind of engine options I have and any foreseeable difficulties that member may see with my frame choice.

I'm partial to the onyx personally because I saw a guy who had one done. It looked like this after.

Anyone know which direction I should go to get started or things to avoid?

Last edited:

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
hey guys,

I've decided on one part for the bike and am looking for more. I've chosen this hub adaptor because I noticed as lot of complaints about the rear hub falling apart and no replacement parts being available.

I'm putting my trust in pirate bikes for this part over any other place because of price and asthetics.

As for the engine mounts I'm leaning towards these sway bar holders. I feel that because they are usable in an actual vehicle, they will be more than sturdy enough to support the engine as engine mounts. I'm actually looking for a black on black version at the moment.

Lets see, thats a sprocket and engine mounts. I have a lot more digging around on this website to clue me into other parts.

Anyone got a suggestion on a motor? A quiet motor is very important to me! I really dont want to be advertising that I'm riding a "Barely legal" bike

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Shake.

That Onyx is gonna be the least head ache causer for a China Girl, 2 stroke engine kit. Might need a large down tube adapter. Easy to make or buy. The pic you posted with the hose clamps securing it, I'm not sure that is a great idea and I love the look of ubolts and hose clamps. Also, ya really need front brakes. Really, really do.

But would make an awesome looking motorized bicycle. Just my personal preference but I like multi-geared bikes as foundations. Aside from the different speeds really helping, for taking off at a stop light or what ever, you can easily move the pedal to a position to help you "off the line" That and I am not a big fan of coaster brakes but folks will soon be yelling at me for saying that, snork.

But again, that will make a great looking motorized bicycle.

LOL, now the theme song is stuck in my head.
One of the funniest shows on adult swim. Main charcters are: Meatwad, Master Shake and Frylock.
MY NAME IS....
Shake-zula, the mic rulah, the old schoolah.
You wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya!
Frylock and I'm on top, rock you like a cop.
Meatwad you're up next, with your knock-knock.
Meatwad make the money see. Meatwad get the honeys G.
Drivin in my car, livin' like a star. Ice on my fingers and my toes and I'm a Taurus
Ha, check-check it, yeah
'Cuz we are tha Aqua Teenz, make the homeys say ho 'n the girlies wanna scream!
'Cuz we are tha Aqua Teenz, make the homeys say ho 'n the girlies wanna scream!

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
should be a peace of cake with the sprocket adapter.Otherwise you might have to bend the brake arm and modify the bearing cover or enlarge the sprocket hole.Looks like a cool bike

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Engine options?

what do you guys think about this engine setup? It looks like the one in the evil onyx thread. Is the upgrade carb and muffler worth the 40$ compared to ebay? I looked at ebay and BGF sales but none of the mufflers were black.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hey guys,

I have a brand new one of these onyx 29" bikes

I want to put an engine on it but I'm not interested in any friction drives. I'm looking to find out what kind of engine options I have and any foreseeable difficulties that member may see with my frame choice. I have two other bikes available to me to put a motor on.
Hi Master-shake, welcome to the forum from Dallas.

I can help you with that bike, I built one for a friend of mine. As far as $150 bikes go, it's probably one of the best to use. It has a very strong frame, and the wheels are stronger than avarage for a low end bike. You can use a Pirate Cycle adapter

Normall I recommend Flying Horse motors, but because all the tubes are so big on an Oynx you might be better off getting a Power King motor from Pirate. The motor has the big front mount, and the rear mount is the right size for the seat post tube.

You'll need different handle bars. The stock ones are 1" and won't fit the throttle handle. The stock gas tank is challenging to mount. It possible you should try to find a different one.

The bike turned out great, but personally I didn't like it very much. It's just that it's so big. Everything on it is big, and tall. If you're 6'2" you'll probably like it a lot. Here's a pic.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
hey biknut, thanks for the input. I've actually been following you around the internets for quite some time. I've been reading posts from bikelaws to bike construction that you've written, your very helpful so thanks. I followed your onyx build as well but if i must say I feel like your other bikes blow the onyx out of the water.

What mounting sytem did you use for the bottom bar? 48mm diameter I believe.

I'm trying hard to keep the fenders will this be impossible with your style front mount?

I've already ordered the pirate 44t sprocket adaptor.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I used a MM front motor mount that I bought from bikeberry, but it was the last one.
You'll need fab one up. There's a lot of different ways to do it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Master-shake, welcome to the forum from Dallas.

I can help you with that bike, I built one for a friend of mine. As far as $150 bikes go, it's probably one of the best to use. It has a very strong frame, and the wheels are stronger than avarage for a low end bike. You can use a Pirate Cycle adapter

Normall I recommend Flying Horse motors, but because all the tubes are so big on an Oynx you might be better off getting a Power King motor from Pirate. The motor has the big front mount, and the rear mount is the right size for the seat post tube.

You'll need different handle bars. The stock ones are 1" and won't fit the throttle handle. The stock gas tank is challenging to mount. It possible you should try to find a different one.

The bike turned out great, but personally I didn't like it very much. It's just that it's so big. Everything on it is big, and tall. If you're 6'2" you'll probably like it a lot. Here's a pic.

Awesome post BN, thanks.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Upgraded front end!!

I returned that useless 26" genesis saber and traded it in for the genesis 29 (two-nine) mountain bike! Woot, you know what that means, a second set of rims and an entire front end assembly including the 7/8 handlebars the black onyx didn't have and disc brake. pirate cycles never answers their phone, I need to upgrade the shipping on my sprocket.

Just waiting on parts now.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Waiting is not fun but is a great opportunity for planing!

Post lots of pics

LOL, Shake-Zula, the motorized bicycle ruler....

Is still stuck in my head

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
The plan is to use the front end off the mountain bike so I will have a front end suspension system and brakes. I heard somewhere around this forum that you couldn't order parts for this bike so the extra set of rims will be handy. I plan on putting the rear brakes from the mountain bike on the cruiser as well.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
My gt5 came In the mail today. No complaints so far.the sprocket adaptor hasn't even shipped from pirate cycles (6days now) so I'm still waiting for that before I make my build thread. Pics of engine coming soon.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
You really dont need the sprocket adapter.And how are you going to use v brakes on a cruiser frame?How do you install the brake posts?

Last edited: