Standard carb or High Performance??

GoldenMotor.com

chrisc

Mar 26, 2012
woonsocket, ri
Hi, I am looking into getting a new engine kit and wondering if I should get the one with a standard carb or a high performance one. Of course I want the extra performance (if there is any) but have heard that the high performance carbs can be a pain to tune and don't make much difference. Any input on this is appreciated.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Hi, I am looking into getting a new engine kit and wondering if I should get the one with a standard carb or a high performance one. Of course I want the extra performance (if there is any) but have heard that the high performance carbs can be a pain to tune and don't make much difference. Any input on this is appreciated.
If you want a carb that you just put on the bike and ride then get the standard carb. If you dont mind, or will enjoy spending the time to tune a carb to get the best perfromance than you might want to try the performance carb.
Your chances are a LOT better at achieving "plug and play" with the standard carb. Though it is not impossible to get a CNS performance carb that works right out of the box, most likely you will have to do some sort of tuning to get it running properly. (from my personal experience as well as what I read in the forums)
I love my CNS carb, but it did take me a bit of fiddling around to get her running well. I learned a LOT in the process, so I am glad for it, and the carb performs really well for me.