Shift Kit Installed, Now starting is hard

GoldenMotor.com

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
hey guys i finally got my shift kit installed, after quite some time just trying to get the masterlink onto the drive sprocket. i swear any tighter it would burst.
anyways

now my engine is really hard to start because both chains are so tight i can bearly pedal, even when holding the clutch.
any shift kit owners how much slack do you have on the right side chain? mine is as tight as the drive side, meaning no slack, would i be better off adding a half link to have maybe a quarter inch of slack? or leave it?
how hard is it for you guys to crank your engine even on first gear?

homejones

Jul 4, 2011
Lostville
I don't have a shift kit, but I've got one on order and have read the install manual a couple times. They have a section in the manual on the recommended tightness. They also include a 1/2 link in the package...right?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You should be able to pedal with the clutch lever pulled in.
Once you get that worked out, you should be able use the choke lever to start the engine easier! ;)

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
i ended up getting it, i went out and got some high quality chain lube, i would suggest using that when you guys do yours because it is really hard to pop that master link in on the 415chain side, and both sides lossened up a bit and now pedaling is easy and i can go faster too. shifting is also way fun compared to single sprockets

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
make sure you go over the directions a couple times so you can get an idea of how its going to be,
when adding the masterlink to the drive sprocket its easiest to add if both ends of the chain are wrapped around the sprocket that way all you have to worry about is pushing the link through.
lube your chains if they are to tight
use loc tite thread locking substances on all bolts
dont hammer bearings or axle or sprockets on to axles, because you have to remove them several times and the axle will flare at the end a bit causing problems when you try to put something back on
also a tip on removing the bottom bracket if you dont have the remover tool.
after you remove the cranks put a flathead screwdriver in one of the notches and over the axle and pry it, mine loosened very easy. the right side loosens clockwise and the left side loosens counterclockwise so dont forget that.

dirt

Aug 13, 2011
United States
I've been riding mine for about a week now. If it was too tight on the right side I'd probably install a half link. Then remove it once the chain stretched. Mine was really tight too, but after about a week is has stretched a bit and looks to be just about perfect. The other thing I noticed was that I had to use different shims or spacers between the bearings and sprockets. If I used the number of ones that the instructions said to use, then my chain alignment was about half a tooth width off. I also had to modify quite a bit of the mounting hardware and made good use of the welder and end mill. It was not a bolt on installation with my frame and motor combination.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
too tight a chain will bind the bearings and cause premature failure i agree with dirt. hope everything worked out o.k. after the movie joe. dig your g.f. dirt!

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
yea ino it loosened up just right after some lube ;]
lol but yea its good now, shift kit is soo much more fun, im never going back to single speed, now im in love with my bike 10times more