Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

rockndrole

Aug 1, 2011
sharonville
Hi all..

i started a new project for Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser Bicycle
1. motorize the bike.
2. converting the bike to gears at least 5speed or 7speed in the rare.
3. adding brakes if possible on the both wheels or on the rare wheel.
4. i want to add shocks in the front.

to solve problem 2,3,4 i bought a 29'' Genesis Mountain bike from which i am taking all the parts

5. adding bike rack on rare and mirrors.
6. adding led head lamp and turn lights.

can some one help me in any of the topic, like to know what parts to you or any advice from who has already done it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
That is not my bike, but I have had fenders and brakes on my D-Back cruiser. All I did was squeeze the fender just enough for the brakes to clear.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
can you post any picture of it and any idea about adding gears or shocks to it
Not at the moment, I am using someone Else's computer and don't have access to any of my photos.

I did add front shocks from a mountain bike onto my cruiser. If its not a multi speed already in order to add gears you must spread the rear chain stays to be able to add gears.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Probably the easiest way to get all of the parts you will be needing to do the things you want to do to your Onyx Cruiser would be to go back to walmart and purchase one of their Gensis 29"wheel Hardtail mountain bikes for $199.99 Walmart.com: Genesis Two Nine 29" Mountain Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys and then transfer the parts to your Onyx. The MTB will give you the Suspension Fork with a Disc Brake, a pair of 36 spoke wheels, (Disc Brake Front and Multi Speed Rear), it will provide a rear v-brake, a rear derailleur, shifters, etc, pretty much everything you need. Then all you have to do is respace the rear end of the Onyx and maybe track down a bolt on derailleur hanger?

ocscully

rockndrole

Aug 1, 2011
sharonville
Probably the easiest way to get all of the parts you will be needing to do the things you want to do to your Onyx Cruiser would be to go back to walmart and purchase one of their Gensis 29"wheel Hardtail mountain bikes for $199.99 Walmart.com: Genesis Two Nine 29" Mountain Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys and then transfer the parts to your Onyx. The MTB will give you the Suspension Fork with a Disc Brake, a pair of 36 spoke wheels, (Disc Brake Front and Multi Speed Rear), it will provide a rear v-brake, a rear derailleur, shifters, etc, pretty much everything you need. Then all you have to do is respace the rear end of the Onyx and maybe track down a bolt on derailleur hanger?

ocscully
Hi ocscully
that was one of my option but i wanted the cruiser look and i am tall so i had to go for Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser Bicycle and i got a deal at walmart so i got my bike for 100$, i know every one are tell me that i cant do but i want to take it as a project and do it.

rockndrole

Aug 1, 2011
sharonville
Not at the moment, I am using someone Else's computer and don't have access to any of my photos.

I did add front shocks from a mountain bike onto my cruiser. If its not a multi speed already in order to add gears you must spread the rear chain stays to be able to add gears.
Hi dave31
i am thing the same to buy a mountain bike for cheap for parts and then add to mine but i have to find a right 29'' mountain bike and how did it fit for your, did it fit right or you need to weld so things.

and depending up on the gear system i find i have to spread the rear frame to fit it i don't think it will be a problem

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
You really are asking alot. Halo Spin Doctor Disc Rear 10mm | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com This is another British Out Fit, but shipping to the USA is only $8.35. 48 Hole Disc Brake Cassette hubs are very limited in availability. These days in the US you only find them on High End Tandems, or custom Loaded Touring Bikes, both very small markets. Shimano has one $245.00 I'm sure you could find one from Phil Wood (cost? $400,00+) Peter White Cycles probably has one as well costing several Hundred dollars. Try Google and see what you come up with.

ocscully