Hills are evil!

GoldenMotor.com

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
im going through my break end period, and i have 66cc jet with cns v2. it runs well until i hit a hill then down to like 10 mph and i haVE to pedal. what can i do.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL @ your thread title.

The only thing you can do is pedal harder. China girls are amazing lil engines but they are doing a whole lotta work even on a flat plain. On long hills, even my 79cc's 4 smokes slow considerably.

Just the nature of our little beasts.

Could use a larger rear sprocket but will cut down your top end speed.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You know what's evil? I'll tell you what's evil: on Troy Ave. here, on my way home, there is a stop sign right at the bottom before a hill I have to climb. And there is always somebody else at the intersection.

Other hills, smaller hills, I just gun it a bit at the approach - and over I go. Not at the Troy one. There I have to stop. Then start from said stop, and pedal like mad because the lane is narrow, there's no shoulder and I usually have a car behind me who wishes he wasn't.

For me, that's evil.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Oh man, the ol stop sign before a hill. That is kinda evil on the part of road designers IMO lol..think about going down that!

When I was a crazy dumb teen pedalhead, I used to climb a huge hill once a week: Harwood Rd, starting at Los Gatos Blvd in San Jose/Los Gatos. it was easy to get anyone's 26" cruiser or MTB to 37-45, let alone road bikes to the 50+ club coming down Harwood. I made it to the 60MPH club there, and we had no motors lol We were too cool to wear helmets back then too!

The hill went down at almost a 30 degree angle for 1/3 of a mile, and then there was a dip at the bottom where it climbed back up for a little hill, which it then went a good half mile before a light a total distance of a mile from the top. At the top of this little hill there was a stop sign. Then ofc it went back down. There was no way any of us who rode that hill down were going to stop at that stop sign, just pedaling you could be north of the 30 mark by then :D

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
What about going down a hill is it best to put it in nuetral is seems that if i down the motor sounds like it wants to explode.
Figured I'd mention that while engine compression braking (using the engine to slow w/no throttle) a two stroke, it's not receiving any fuel/oil mix - thus no lubrication @ high RPM...

Obv this can be bad lol

Still, engine compression braking can be handy (long hills/slick roads) - my solution is to limit the duration of engine compression braking and/or periodically clutching & revving a lil to flush the motor with some fuel/oil.

Works fer me ;)

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Oh man, the ol stop sign before a hill. That is kinda evil on the part of road designers IMO lol..think about going down that!

When I was a crazy dumb teen pedalhead, I used to climb a huge hill once a week: Harwood Rd, starting at Los Gatos Blvd in San Jose/Los Gatos. it was easy to get anyone's 26" cruiser or MTB to 37-45, let alone road bikes to the 50+ club coming down Harwood. I made it to the 60MPH club there, and we had no motors lol We were too cool to wear helmets back then too!

The hill went down at almost a 30 degree angle for 1/3 of a mile, and then there was a dip at the bottom where it climbed back up for a little hill, which it then went a good half mile before a light a total distance of a mile from the top. At the top of this little hill there was a stop sign. Then ofc it went back down. There was no way any of us who rode that hill down were going to stop at that stop sign, just pedaling you could be north of the 30 mark by then :D
Man, I live near your area in NorCal. Had no idea there was anyone else into motorized bicycles around here. Nice.

But yeah in terms of boost bottles, do they actually work?

Last edited:

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca
Boost bottles do work. If you design it to were the whole thing including the hose is the same CC.'s as your motor. They also need to be mounted so the outlet of the bottle points down.

SlickmisterN

Feb 27, 2009
Napa
Wow really geoldr? I see at least one other m.b.er every day here in Marin/Napa. But I guess this is where mtn. biking began so there's a huge wealth of bicycle resources and everyone's just kinda looking for that next "it" thing right now! Seems like I'm the only 4-stoke enthusiast in my area however...