Been An Adventure With China.

GoldenMotor.com

josuha

Aug 28, 2009
Oregon
I got a motor kit about three months ago.
I just got it out of the box.
I've been trying to put it on a cruiser for about three days.

One part after another seems to either come apart or break.

First off the metal bolts were soft and two were threaded wrong.
I went to the hardware store and picked up some hardware (About $20.00 in bolts/nuts/ washers etc..)

The throttle handle was stuck.

When I took it apart, a piece of plastic was broken off inside.

It looks like it is made out of some kind of 'bakelite' or brittle plastic.

The tubing for the gas line looked like 'surgical tubing'..no clamps.

Another $7.00

The motor mounts did'nt fit so I fabricated one from 1/4" steel and a muffler clamp.

While adjusting the tensioner, the bolt stripped.
The tensioner wheel is made out of some kind of nylon..
The kit as a whole looks like it needs a complete rebuild or replacement of parts before it would work.

I have to be honest, it does'nt seem worth the effort and after looking at the metal and how this kit is put togther, I would'nt take it out any distance.
From my experience and seeing how it is made, I'm frankly more concerned now of a failure while on the road like a throttle, chain tension. or metal failure that could cause an accident.

Is this 'normal' from all the kits from China or did I get a lemon?

I put the thing in the barn and am not sure what to do with it.

EnFlaMEd

Aug 25, 2009
South Australia
They're stronger than you think. Ive done over 600kms with the original supplied clear fuel line and apart from it hardening up a bit it still works fine. Ive replaced the studs with high tensile bolts on my build and replaced the head bolts with high tensile units as well. Ive also loctited everything and copper siliconed all the joints on the intake tract. My throttle was also very stiff when I got it but I just lubed it and the cable up with oil and now its fine.
One thing I have learned with these kits it to not over tighten anything!

scooterhoot

Aug 2, 2009
Britton,mi
Josh,
I'm still a noob to the MB world, but I worked on MC for 14 yrs before my body told me to stop. I've had some proplem with my kit, carb was junk slide sticking in the bore, tried to lap the carb body, no good, replaced w/ spooky tooth nt carb. Chain tensioner moved to the outside,(better than inside, no spoke damage) & bent the kits cheep a** chain, replaced w/ #41 chain from tractor supply and a self tapping screw to hold it in place. And at just ove 350 mi the chain tensioner wheel gave up, replaced w/ a lawn boy idler wheel from a local lawn mower repair shop. I ride to work everyday I can (don't get wet on purpose) and have over 400 mi on mine, and that is in less then a mounth.
You will have some small problems but keep the faith and keep it the rubber side down!

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
Sounds like you are in a storm with your China Girl engine and components.
You have identify the problems that needed to be fix or replaced...............
After that you are ready to try to start it. Sound like you will have to replace
plug, plug wire, maybe CDI. ..,. Hopefully you will not experiance any problems
with your carburetor. Always remember after the storm and then the sunshines
and a rainbow appears and the pot of gold lacks a few coins in it but under the
rainbow there is a Happy Time waiting for you to claim it.

josuha

Aug 28, 2009
Oregon
Josh,
I'm still a noob to the MB world, but I worked on MC for 14 yrs before my body told me to stop. I've had some proplem with my kit, carb was junk slide sticking in the bore, tried to lap the carb body, no good, replaced w/ spooky tooth nt carb. Chain tensioner moved to the outside,(better than inside, no spoke damage) & bent the kits cheep a** chain, replaced w/ #41 chain from tractor supply and a self tapping screw to hold it in place. And at just ove 350 mi the chain tensioner wheel gave up, replaced w/ a lawn boy idler wheel from a local lawn mower repair shop. I ride to work everyday I can (don't get wet on purpose) and have over 400 mi on mine, and that is in less then a mounth.
You will have some small problems but keep the faith and keep it the rubber side down!
Thanks for the tips scooter.

The original chain tensioner wheel has to go.

I'll look at the lawn boy idler wheel idea you gave.
In the perfect world, I'd just like to run the chain direct without the tensioner (less parts to break or wear) but I'm not sure of the alignment and if the chain would stay on the sprocket without it.

I have'nt had a chance to run the engine so I can't say anything about the carb or how the engine performs yet.

The kit is on a brand new cruiser with Bendix brake.

Another thing I had to do is open up the center of the sprocket on the lathe.
I only took off a few thousanths to have it slip over the grease cap on the axel.
That's dead center.

I also have to buy a front hand brake for the bike.

Thanks for the tips.

(This started out as a project..now..it's a career!):-||.bf..duh.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Josh, I assure in the end it is worth it... I built the Schwinn OCC up and if you read around on here it is probably one of the most problematic builds However it is well worth the time spent for me. Keep a few things in mind. Some guys on here stay with the stock tensioner...I personally won't even waist my time, that thing is a POS. Bikeguy Joe as well as many other have some sweet tensioner mods that aren't all that hard to pull off. These motors are from china so not a lot should be expected anyways right?A lot of stuff is iffy, but the for $120 it is honestly worth it for just the motor and clutch setup the way it is. To me it is anyway, just keep truckin sounds like your almost ready to ride the lightning, or small electro magnetic spark anyway.

josuha

Aug 28, 2009
Oregon
It's headed for the dump.

After calling the dealer to order a new chain tensioner ($19.00 and some change.) after I posted and did some work around the house.

I went in to put the gas tank on.

I twisted the throttle and the freakin' thing came off in my hand.
It was broken in two where the cable turns inside.

I then removed th engine and tossed the SOB into the junk pile.

No way am I riding this piece of crap on a road.

And I'm not sinking another dime into this.

End of story with China.