My Indian in pending sale.

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I wasn't looking for a buyer, the buyer found me lol. Actually my adult Son was always a fan of the bike. He actually helped a little with some of the grunge work a couple of times. The timing was just just right. I just finished the Memorial Day Parade, my bikes show days are over , and I'm thinking up new ideas for my next bike. Chris my Son is selling a vehicle and made me an offer. I let him borrow the bike for a couple of weeks to really see if this is what He wants. This will keep it in the family and allow me to fund a new project. You hate to see them go but it's time to move on. So, I'm thinking of Ideas for my next project. I don't know yet what engine or wheels/tires I will go with yet, but I'm thinking I'll stay military themed. It was more fun for me. Perhaps a sidecar. It would step up the utility for me by leaps and bounds. -John

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Sounds like its time to get to building. Let us know what you come up with. (can anyone say pics?) Iam starting a new build myself. Going with the lifan 97.8cc. I want this to my a very solid build. Will make a jackshaft to drive a 7 speed cassette. It will be interesting to see what you make this time. Dan

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Great that a new bike is in the planning stages, really cool your son is taking the other off your hands. Plus if it's in the family it really isn't gone.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Can't wait to see what you come up with next! Also, good to hear you are keeping the bike in the family. I ended up selling a good bit of my previous bike (Frame, Fenders, Tank, Forks) when I did my rebuild. Now I'm thinking of selling it and working on another :)

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Great that a new bike is in the planning stages, really cool your son is taking the other off your hands. Plus if it's in the family it really isn't gone.
Right. I miss Her, but I want to move to the next level. I'm having fits trying to figure out the tire wheel situation. I would love to use a 29" bicycle sized tire, but I don't know of any (maybe some of you do) that wear like iron. I could make a 1:1 scale bike if I could use 29" wheels and tires. Or I could use the Simplex tires again. I love them, they do wear like iron, and have the look, but they are only 26". They did have vintage bikes with 26" as an option, but I wanted to shoot for full size. I could go to Coker Classic Tire and buy actual vintage 28" clincher tires and wheels. the tires are $200.00 each though, ouch! The rims are up there too. But it would be perfectly sized. Or I could go with 21" dirt bike front rims on all three wheels. But it would need to be scaled down to fit the small wheels.

This bike I'm building is going to travel 45mph tops. It won't be a speed bike. I want it to look so real that most folks will think it's the actual article.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Don't forget fork width clearance, unless you are building your own. 21 inch motorcycle rims should give you about 27 inches height. Now the fun begins.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Will you do another Indian themed bike or is a Harley Davidson in the future, Ludwig was the connection with 28" tires and wheels as a matter of fact there is a web site called moobilo that has a wide selection as well.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
F.Y.I., the 21" m.c. rims and 21" x 3" dual sport tires that I'm using end up just shy of 28" when inflated, compared to an actual Indian, my frame measurements are within an inch (give or take small design differences) and the wheels don't look small.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
F.Y.I., the 21" m.c. rims and 21" x 3" dual sport tires that I'm using end up just shy of 28" when inflated, compared to an actual Indian, my frame measurements are within an inch (give or take small design differences) and the wheels don't look small.

That's fantastic news. 36 hole rims, right? Can you PM me exact sizes and sources for tires and rims please. I really didn't want to blow my budget just on wheels. Remember, I need to make three this time, cha-ching!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Will you do another Indian themed bike or is a Harley Davidson in the future, Ludwig was the connection with 28" tires and wheels as a matter of fact there is a web site called moobilo that has a wide selection as well.
I'm considering taking a page out of Pat's and Lurker's playbook and "inventing" a motorcycle brand that never existed before. I'm considering:

Royal-Standard
American-Standard
Maxwell-Harding
J.P.E (my initials)

Names that sound like the time period the bike is attempting to come from. This way nobody can ever say "it's a fake" lol.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Just checking the CAD files you should end up rolling at 26 3/4" x 3", maybe 3 1/8". The bicycle 26 x 2.125 rolls at 26 1/2". Considering the diameter and all, this puts the axle 1/8" higher. The real issue becomes chain offset. I added more offset to the secondary drive chain when I went to 21" motorcycle rims.