Lurker's new project

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I just can't leave this board track stuff well enough alone. I enjoy it so much that I want others to enjoy it as much as I do, so I have come up with a plan to make that happen. I am currently in the planing stages of two prototype bikes, a 400cc racer and a 200cc lightweight cruiser. These bikes are inspired by a 1909 Merkel and Triumph. Both bikes will feature a pedal to start mechanism that I have been pondering for almost a year. The will also feature GX series engine that will be interchangeable with each other, or swapped out for a completely different stationary engine altogether as long as it will fit in the frame. Basically a universal engine mount.

I would like to have a similar operation to Pat (Sportsman Flyer) but on a much smaller scale, maybe only do a few bikes per year. I am hoping to be able to build one of these from start to finish in less than 3 months. I will be using a Worksman bike just like Pat does but it will be totally different. I'm not trying to take his business. Most of what I will be doing will be sold locally. However I may sell the pedal to start mechanism as kit or something.

Here are the rough concepts for these bikes I'm sure things will change when I start the builds. I would love some feedback regarding the design or concept.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The 400cc racer is you all the way, not taking anything any from your fantastic abilities as a fabricator and or builder but I think it would be a good thing to talk to Dan at Taylar Motor Bikes for the frame then do all the neccessary mods to it that you'll need, why fuss with the technicals ? and just get down to the build might just be cheaper in the long run too but no matter what you decide it will be KILLER!!!

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Would fabrication/building be helped by using two engine plates around the bottom of the engine instead of a tubular steel cradle?

Will you be using a single speed, a CVT or even a slushbox torque converter?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Other thing I noticed after a quick look at a pic of the engine, the filler drain plug will be under the engine when mounted. Where will you fill it from, and will you have a level screw or sight glass or dipstick to check the level?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
That's one job you don't have to do. While I think, what sort of brakes will go on it? Personally, I'd love to see big, single sided, single leading shoe drums, but that's probably too expensive and fiddly to do.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I think what a lot of people don't relize is that the V.I.N. # can come off of the bike crank tube if you decide to use the bicycle type or any where else where #'s are present even the engine if need be and I'm sure a builder wouldn't have a problem with a certicate of Build or Authenticity as to Yr,Make,Model, my Sportsman Flyer came with a build certificate

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
I think what a lot of people don't relize is that the V.I.N. # can come off of the bike crank tube if you decide to use the bicycle type or any where else where #'s are present even the engine if need be and I'm sure a builder wouldn't have a problem with a certicate of Build or Authenticity as to Yr,Make,Model, my Sportsman Flyer came with a build certificate
But what does that do for DMV? If a new build, you must have all safety and emissions equipment as required by each state. I don't see how this would work in my state of New York.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
That's one job you don't have to do. While I think, what sort of brakes will go on it? Personally, I'd love to see big, single sided, single leading shoe drums, but that's probably too expensive and fiddly to do.
I would like to see band brakes. Authentic to the period, and pretty simple to fabricate or modify OTC kart parts

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Protect yourself from liability. Contact a lawyer and have him draw up a release of liability waiver that is bullet proof to protect you if someone hurts themselves riding one of your bikes. BTW, I think it's great for you to do something you love to do. I've personally built and sold a couple of bikes for profit using the GX50 engine. I disliked it because I found out that people buy things they can't build themselves. And because they can't build themselves, they have extreme difficulty performing very basic service or repair and have pestered me to death. I grew weary of it and just hung it up. Building for myself is fun. Building for others is a royal PITA because of the built-in customer service that comes along for the ride.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Rick... first of all if you are going to build something for the street then buy an old bike and use the STREET LEGAL parts off that for your project, including V.I.N. # I don't know what good a V.I.N. does for the bike Mecanically but it's required by the D.M.V for identification thus V.I.N. Vehicle Identifcation Number,for reasons if the bike is stolen,when a Cop pull's you over and you are riding it as well as providing Your I.D and that of the bike, he knows it isn't stolen,what it is and that it belongs to you, if there are any questions you may have regaurding the required operational safety eqp and integrity of the build take the bike to a Highway Patrol Office and get a road worthy certificate of approval from them that states the bike meets all highway requiements of the state in which you live when ever you get a ticket for an Un-Safe vehical you must fix it and take it to the High Way Patrol office in order to get a release from the court and put the Vehicle back on the road, they have one of their head Mechanics come and look at the Vehicle and the Mechanic also has to know Vehicle safety laws as well he'll tell you what is required and what isn't

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Everything I own or build is road legal, weither it is or isn't driven on the street, just try'ing to answer your question about the segnificances of a V.I.N. I most certainly ain't gonna ride my stuff off road I don't build or own Motocross bikes and I ain't gonna have my bikes ceased by the police, chained to the back of a tow truck by some idiot knick named t-bone or porkchop and then impounded at a yard where everyone is gonna play around with it, I put a lot of money into my rides as do others.
I live in Cali. the cops don't mess around out here they'd just as soon put you in the grave over a cell phone violation then pat you on the shoulder and send you on the way(don't you watch the news?), I ain't give'n them No! excuse Lisenced and registered is the way for me,
Now back to the Lurker Show Thank You! audience for that commercial Break We appologize for any in convenience

Last edited:

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
My point exactly. A vin means nothing if the bike isn't legal for the road in NY. By legal, I mean registered, insured and inspected. Without these 3 things, they may impound your bike. I don't think they will give a rats behind about a certificate from some home builder. Now an MSO, that would be another story.

I, too, have my bikes legal.
I apologize for the interruption Lurker.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
A maufacutrers certificate of authenticity only increases the value of the Vehicle as it a mark of origin and a point of begining in history, as identifies the it's make, year & model
By the way nice!! Simplex Very Nice!! or is it a Famous James?

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I realize I still have some of the legal issues to work out still but that will come with time.

Having the bikes legal is a issue that potential buyers will be concerned about. I'm probably going to have a discussion with Pat about this in the future. On the other hand in most states getting a motorized bike legal is pretty straight forward. Which is why I am design the bikes with a universal stationary engine mount. I figure I could offer a stock 50cc bike with "off road" engine upgrade for those who are old enough to know better but young enough not to care ***cough ME cough*** .
All joking aside I would love to figure out a way to legally sell a street ready 400cc racer.

As I said before I am still in the planning stages of all this. I don't even know if I could turn a profit on these bikes but I would love to it the all american try. It just seems like a natural evolution for me.

But to get back on topic how do you guys feel about the designs? I know the 1912 Indian is the quintessential btr design and Pat is doing something similar to that with the Sportsman Flyers. His deigns are great but I want to be able to offer another option.

Is there any interest in the early 1909ish bikes?
Would anyone be interested in a non racer design, a street bike if you will? I feel like some of the older guys would.

Below is one of my inspiration photos.

Attachments

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
If you could make the frame where a 50cc, 200cc or 400cc could be installed in it you would have better ability to sell them. You could offer them in either a race style or a cruising style bike.

I also think you would do well to make them as a kit (rolling frame), they provide the power plant or different stages of a complete ready to run bike. Just some of my thoughts on it.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Lurker,
I wish you the best of luck in your plans. I worry about liability everyday but it doesn't stop me from doing what I do. A good friend once told me that the best way to avoid liability concerns is to build parts that just don't break. That is almost impossible, but it is a goal to strive for.
Pat

cantona7

Jul 10, 2012
Arlington VA
I see another awesome build coming! Judging by your design plans and the fact that you mentioned using worksman, Are you going to use the worksman 20" straight bar frame?

Just curious.