Titan Recumbent Yes !!!!

GoldenMotor.com

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Ok..so here is what happened. I have wanted a recumbent for a long time. But they are so expensive. I went up North to look at an Ebike for 350 used and out of production. I even met Large up there and rode his trike around the block. By the way Large, that was a hoot .. anyway.. I did not buy this Ebike because it needed 100 bucks worth of seat cover work. That means..A 450 dollar bike. As we loaded the Ebike back up to the sellers surprise, He came down to 300. Still too much. Maybe 200, Maybe. But it did not happen and besides, the bike did not suit me ideally since the crank was a tad high for me. so.. Anyway.. You all get the point. Even used recumbent is super expensive and out of my price range. So.. Today, I walk into a local thrift store and POW!!! What you see in the pic is what I saw .. A Sun EZ-1. Wow !! 149 bucks.. Original tires with air, spider webs and all. Bought it 161usd cause of tax, you know the drill, and rode it out the store.. IT is awesome !! And now.. I have been working for an hour or so and have the new Titan going as you see. It seems to be fitting perfectly . This will be a dream ride !!! O yes !!! MY first recumbent. This EZ-1 is an intro Recumbent and costs around 600-700 bucks new. 161 bucks is not cheap, but affordable. As you can see in the pics, I only have the drive and throttle cable and throttle grip left to install. o yes.. And the rear sprocket.. The fun part. Since it has a 20in rear wheel, I will go with the 36T and hope that I can hit 30mph still. I may have to find a 26 or 28T. We will see. My 36T will be my starting point. I figure a 44T will be too large for sure. At any rate... This is the first Titan Recumbent I know of .. Ye Haw !!! I will have more pics to post soon. Enjoy the ride.. I know I will tomorrow. I know I will need the fender kit, flag pole with strobe, and a faring. That will be awesome. I may leave on my EZ and never come back..... Oh yes !!!!!

Attachments

jimmybking

Nov 10, 2008
ohio
that is my story, except finding one at the thrift store. ive wanted one of thoes for so long but they are so expencive, and with a motor- it would be my dream bike. i guess i have to keep looking for a cheep one. anyways SWEET bike.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Ok..She is done !! It runs fantastic ! Took me about 3 hours for most of the work. Then took me another 2 hours just to make the dog gone Throttle cable. A long one. 105 incher. Custom made. Lubed it up well. Snaps back as it should. This baby is smooth and fast. Very comfortable. I can ride all day. The fact that the Titan has the exhaust pointed out the rear makes for a nice quiet ride. As you can see in the one pic, I have a rear off set on my plate. I had to go to Home Despot and get 4 carriage bolts to make this happen. Doing a rear off set moves the motor back. I had to drill some holes in my T bracket. I had to adapt. If I could have moved the plate back another half inch, it would have cleared my tail section of my frame and would have allowed me to drop the whole setup down 3 inches more or so. I may still look into what it will take to do that. But for now..It is great.. Handling is good. Long wheel base makes for great stability at speed. I need a fairing. When the sun drops behind the mountains, instant cold !! I need a faring. As you can see in the pics, she is a beauty. Almost like this bike is made for Titan. A simple install really. IT fits great !! The 36T is a great match for the 20 inch rear wheel. I may be able to go down to a 32T and still be ok. But the 36T seems to be the ticket. I do not have an odo yet, but I would guess it tops out at 26mph or so. Power is good. Really takes off good and fast. I bought some Bontrager Fenders or what ever they are called.. They are for 26 inch wheels. cost 15 bucks. I am too cheap to buy the EZ-1 fender kit. Not sure what that would cost but I am pretty sure they would cost more than 15 bucks.. I trimmed them with scissors and they work great !! I can fly through the slush and water and not a drop hits me anywhere. Since the Crank is just above the fender, I get no water on my shoes or pant leg as I do on a non recumbent bike. Kill switch is hooked up, Everything is done except a Headlight, Tail light, and Speedo, and Thorn proof tubes with liners front and rear. So..I do have some work left. This EZ-1 is a winner. I really feel it is a 400 dollar bike if mass produced. Right now they sell new for 600-700 depends on the bike shop. If more people bought them, they would come down some in price. IT is a great choice for a Recumbent. IT is a great bike. The handling only takes 5-10 mins to get used to. The comfort is instant. Enjoy the pics..And..Enjoy the ride !!!

Attachments

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
OK.. I got a Digital speedo, Measured my Tire Dia in mm and did the math, then plugged in my value. Speedo calibrated. Then took off. I guessed my speed to be around 26mph. It felt like a fast Titan but I figured maybe it was being on a Recumbent that made it feel like 26mph when really is it slower. But.. As I found out.. No true.. I guessed 26 and actually is is 27.8 on the flats and 29.4 on a slight down hill. Yes !! It is fast.. I am really surprised at how well it handles the bumps. You would think it has full suspension front and rear. Must be the long frame that smooths out the bumps. Could also be the seat and riding posture. As though I do not garnish enough attention, this recumbent really gets it now. Not sure how good that is. At 45 degrees, it has been a cold and snotty ride. And yes.. A blast !! I would like a fairing, but 300 bucks for the fairing and 250 bucks for the mounting hardware seems excessive. Not only that but I am not sure the EZ-1 Fairing would be to my liking. I like to see over the top of any fairing and not have my view impaired. Also..I am too cheap and conservative and will only buy one as a last resort. I think I will look into Plastics here locally and get some lexan and make my own frame and fairing . All in all.. It is has been a great week riding and building. Now that I have this recumbent, I am not sure I can go back to a normal bike. This recumbent is just too comfortable. You could fall asleep at the Handle bars.. Yikes !!!!

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
WOW, what a nice looking bike! Mind if I use it in an animation??

Off Topic (sort of), those motors. When you pull start it, do you have to hold the clutch in like you do with an HT? Also, can it be peddle started?

I'm curious because I do want to put one in an animation and don't fully understand the motor.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Between the gear box and the engine is an enclosed centrifugal clutch so it will start like a lawnmower and it won't go anywhere. When you throttle the clutch catches and you go. So there's no clutch lever. Just the throttle.
Pedal starting is not possible but my Titan has over 4 thousand miles and it still starts with one easy pull. Sometimes two when it's really cold out but mostly just once with the choke out.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Well... Yesterday I rode all Day. It was 60 degrees and sunny.. Today it is 0 degrees and snowing. Yikes !! Yes.. A 60 degree change in less than 12 hours. Global warming ? What happened? O well. What can you do. 60 degrees one day, sub zero the next. Living at such high altitudes is living at extremes. Hot summers and cold winters. Wow !! And today.. No chance for a ride. I am bummed. But..I have yesterdays memories logged in my brain for ever. I took my Titan recumbent to the top of Deer Creek Canyon near Tiny Town Colorado for those that want to map quest it. I was running a 36T on my 20 inch rear wheel. It is well suited. I can cruise around 26mph. Top speed near 30. I can free wheel my Titan still spinning my chain and gear box but still can coast down hills with clutch free wheeling and engine free to idle at speeds near 40mph. No kidding. It was a dream. Had 2 close calls with sand and Ice when you hit the shade spots in the narrow canyons. You have to stay in the clean groves and off the sand and ice. But going that fast around hairpins required some.. Well.. Nerve and careful braking. But..I made it. No road rash. I made the round trip of about 25 miles and my rear never got tired. Total miles travled around 60 miles. This is testament to the riding posture of the EZ-1. There were several bumps that I wished I had full suspension. The Recumbent s are smoother than normal bikes on bumps for sure. But. Still.. An EZ-1 type ride with full suspension would be the ideal. Also.. Someone asked if they can use Titan for an animation. And..Yes..You can. That is fine with me.. Enjoy the ride....

Last edited:

roachhill

Aug 14, 2008
bacikwoods of northern PA
Dax you took a good look at the Ebike does it look like a Titan motor would fit easily or does it look like a major job? I just bought a 2 stroke for my daughters bike now I'm thinking I might need to dust off the Ebike in the back of the shed and order up a motor so I can ride along. Can't let the kid have all the fun. If I don't build one for myself she might head out to the garage only to find her bike (and dad) missing.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
No sir.. I went up Deer Creek Canyon. I would have to go up Morrison Canyon to go by Red Rocks. People Drive too fast up Morrison Canyon. Also..I think I have found my Super Titans. Yes !!! Also.. It has gone from near 60 degrees to a record Smashing -19 below 0. wow !!!!!!!!! Where is Al Gore when you need him? Probably down at the Equator telling everyone there how hot it is and that he is re inventing the Internet. Figures.. Anyway.. Enjoy the ride.. When it warms up that is....Burrrr................

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hey Roach. If there is a kit to fit the BikeE, It would be Titan. Is yours Full or no Suspension? The no Suspension would probably be easier. You will have that tail section to work around on those BikeE s . It would be a great ride for sure !!

Last edited: