Hs oil level

GoldenMotor.com
Hi folks!
I'm a newb here, but not new to bike building (motorcycles) and car builds.

I just built a cruiser with HS 4 stroke and Qmatic drive. Took it for a 10mi test run yesterday eve and it definitely ran stronger on the way back like it should.

Quick question: When I added the required 8oz of oil and then removed the funnel, oil was running/dripping back out the crankcase fill-hole? I promptly tilted the bike forward and re-installed the screw-n cap.

The engine seems level (I eyeballed it rather than place a level across the bottom mount). Unless the 4oz marking on the plastic oil container is off significantly (I added 4oz+4oz) I should have the correct amount of oil added.

What gives? Is my eyesight that far off and I need to place a mini level on the bottom mounting bracket? (MY first guess).

Or is the shallowness of the case unable to hold 8oz of oil with the oil dipstick out perhaps?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Mine does the same thing with 8oz, although my engine is tilted back slightly when on the double-leg kickstand.
My engine's only level-ish when I'm on the bike because of the suspension forks compressing.

If your engine is perfectly level, you'll find oil will still dribble out slightly with 8oz in it, like a properly filled differential 3rd member check hole with plug removed.

If you want to avoid the mess, just raise the rear of the bicycle when you add the oil.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Mine does the same thing with 8oz, although my engine is tilted back slightly when on the double-leg kickstand.
My engine's only level-ish when I'm on the bike because of the suspension forks compressing.

If your engine is perfectly level, you'll find oil will still dribble out slightly with 8oz in it, like a properly filled differential 3rd member check hole with plug removed.

If you want to avoid the mess, just raise the rear of the bicycle when you add the oil.
I second this :)