Unsung heros-Harbor Frieght tools that work

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
We all know that some of the china stuff is crap. We also know that HF Predators and Greyhounds are a great product. But what about the stuff you got from HF that you cant live without.
I got this angle grinder http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-with-paddle-switch-65519.html on sale 4 yrs ago for 9.99 plus and it is still going strong.

Another product is a drill press similar to this one http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-drill-press-with-1-2-half-inch-keyless-chuck-44505.html
That is now only available in stores for 49.00. I had an issue with it and they sent me a new one no questions asked and let me keep the other one which turned out to be a loose bolt simple fix- so 2 drill presses for 49.00 yeah its a belt drive and takes a while to go througb thicm stuff but what a deal. What about you guys?

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I am so glad that they opened a HF in braintree. I purchased a 3-1/2" hand grinder from them. It has paid for itself 4x over. I have had most of the tools needed for years but I go there for supplys, welding wire, sanding disc&belts ect. The stuff they sell is of disposable price but still a good deal.

Most important shop tools: Good vice, Hand grinder, assorted sanders, drill press, welder, portable bandsaw, bench grinder, hand drill, files vice grips, clamps. IMHO

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Guys, I wish I could share your enthusiasm for HF but I can't. Every item I've ever bought from them either didn't work, broke within a few uses or was so substandard as to be a waste of money.

Case in point: Flapper discs that wore out or came apart within a few seconds of sanding.
Dremel bits/burrs/stones sanding drums that lasted for only one or two uses.
A digital caliper that reads all over the scale depending on how you hold it.
Router bits that wore out on the first use.

I used to have several mechanics who worked for me on manufacturing assembly lines. I wouldn't allow them to spend company money on HF tools. I know some folks have had good luck with their purchases but it hasn't been my experience.
When I want a tool that will perform and last I'll bite the bullet and buy quality, not cheap. Guess that's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

Some of the older guys who were raised with Snap-On, Mac, Proto and a few others will probably agree with me. But today brand names don't mean much. I remember when if it said Black & Decker on it, you were buying a good tool. Today they are nothing but junk.
Same for a lot of Craftsman tools, especially their electric drills, sanders, grinders, etc. I recently saw a Milwaukee cordless drill...made in China. Quality just ain't what it used to be.

Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have a few pneumatic tools from them. Die grinders, an air drill, ect.
I have an automotive battery charger.
I have a few of the -free with coupon- digital volt meters.
I have a set of the oddball angled hand wrenches that I only use when I need to get to a fastener that's in an oddball location.
I have a 3" mini bench grinder with a really fine stone on one end and a deburring/ scotchbrite wheel on the other end.

As for my go to tools for everyday tasks I gotta completely agree with 2door.
You get what you pay for and I only trust Snap-on, Matco, Mac, Proto and Cornwell when the going gets tough... and my Craftsman tools that are about 25 years old get the light duty work.
(The new Craftsman hand tools just aren't made like the old Craftsman ones)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom,
Remember the days when Craftsman was as good as it got for the home handyman and quite a few professionals used them as well. Sears sold machine shop tools and equipment, farm equipment and many a man started a business with Craftsman tools until he could get better and some never did prefering to stay with Sears.

How life has changed in our time and not for the better in many ways..

Steve.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
I purchased the HF 1/4 drill press a few months ago. Had to take it back because the drill press table's clamping fixture cracked in half when tightening. They gave me a new press, no questions asked. When it came to to using it, the darn thing didn't have enough torque to drill thru a 2X4 w/o constantly backing the drill bit out. Tried adjusting the belt numerous times to no avail. Wound up using my trusty Craftsmen battery operated hand drill & throwing the HF piece of crap in the recyling bin.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Tom,
Remember the days when Craftsman was as good as it got for the home handyman and quite a few professionals used them as well. Sears sold machine shop tools and equipment, farm equipment and many a man started a business with Craftsman tools until he could get better and some never did prefering to stay with Sears.

How life has changed in our time and not for the better in many ways..

Steve.
I took a bunch of broken Craftsman tools that I had been gathering for the last decade or better. 1st they wanted to mail me new ones which ok there was a lot of broken tools, but the CRAP they sent me back wow? all the ratchets had been refurbished using plastic inerds. I will not buy a new Craftsman ratchet ever again, Snap-on & mac now they are still all metal construction.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I to have a HF angle grinder...love it! The disc are pretty good also. I have a set of sealed bearing tools that work great for replacing 4G bearings.

Things that stink any of the dremel type bits,drill bits and files.

Non tool.. I like black Zip ties!! The hose clamps are junk.

My Dad worked for Chrysler/Mopar as a Mec. so I am slowly getting the good stuff.Like a set of Snap On taps and dyes from back in the day.Also tools I will never use like the Gold plated Snap On Rachet and Socket sets he recieved as awards(I assume).Wish I still had all those Mopar Road Runner Decals and wide pinstripe decals I use too put on my bike as a kid.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I have mostly had good luck with the few tools I bought from HF.
The one bad one was a 1/2 drill. First time I put it in reverse under a load the left hand 4mm screw thst held the chuck in broke. So I pulled out my 25 yr old milwaukee.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
we use the HF central pneumatic professional series air ratchets at work. they are pretty good if you keep oiling them. and that is a must do thing, seen many many air tools die way to fast at work from guys not oiling them.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The angle grinder I got at HF had the lock button brake though the housing. I was able to just get a refund so it was a waste for the gas driving back and forth.

I did get a long nose die grinder with like 4 amps power. I had to use a speed control so that the cutter wheels would not run too fast. The cheap speed control is not one with thyristor that would chop the AC sign wave, just a resistor inside. This means at low speed under medium it will stall. I also needed an arbor to use with it. The one they sold me was so out of true that it would have sent the cutter wheel splintering shards and probably wreak the bearings in the die grinder.

I could not find one of these arbors in the hardware stores for the speed and size needed to fit. I ordered on line and got one that was good and some cutter discs for a reasonable price.

Now for some reason the hardware stores have the arbor I needed. The great thing is I save bundles of money when I can use the cutter wheel on it rather than the Dremel cutter wheels. The Dremel I still really like, but if I can use the smallest the die grinder cutter I’ll be doing that.

I brought back a fiber glass matt that I thought I might use to protect stuff from weld spatter. The thing flaked apart so bad and you would get cuts. They took it back no problem. I use a large piece of sheet metal instead now.

Just remembered also that some of the cutter wheels have loose fibers, and the worst was not from HF but OSH and it was not in any package. Some of the stuff I got from mail order cutter wheels for the die grinder also had the same problem. I think the cutter and grinder wheels are sound enough they will not fly apart, but these fine splinters are not found in all the brands I have bought, so I avoid badly made ones for sure.

I got an angle grinder at OSH and it was not much more expensive and had a little better warranty without an extra cost. I find it real handy.

MT

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I bought the $100 welder a couple years back. I get alot of use out of it, and it makes its rounds because it is a 110 so my brother and dad will borrow it for light duty stuff instead of getting the real welder out. The welds look like crap and that is problably me as much as the machine, but they hold. Admittedly it has never seen heavy use, but for a $100 I have enjoyed it and it still works.