Noob attempts a Felt MP build: Have mercy on me.

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Agonizing between a jackshaft setup or a separate rear sprocket, I pretty much cornered myself into a jackshaft setup by installing the rear 203mm hydraulic disc. There is just no more clearance in the back even with a top hat adapter. I tried to cram a 11 HP hopped up GX200 racing clone in but it just wouldn't fit so I had to settle for the Hua Sheng 49cc of slowness instead. I'll have to buy every aftermarket thing I can get for this engine Still waiting on the jackshaft parts and Grubee 4G T-Belt Drive. .spr.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Thanks much. It's been a learning experience to say the least. I'll just be glad when it's finished. LOL

I got the tank on eBay. It's off an old Italian moped. The normal teardrop tank bolted on top of the top bar just doesn't do it for me for some reason.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
looks like a great start.
um other than the motor part.
hope it work out as well as the rest of the bike.
That's the 49cc Hua Sheng 4 stroke minus the Grubee 4G and exhaust. It sure wasn't my first choice but it fits so I'm stuck with it. :-||

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Looking Great! C'mon 4G hurry up! :p

One good thing about waiting for parts is going over everything with a fine tooth comb, checking everything thrice. But it takes from riding time :(

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Looking Great! C'mon 4G hurry up! :p

One good thing about waiting for parts is going over everything with a fine tooth comb, checking everything thrice. But it takes from riding time :(

I gave up looking for the Grubee 4G. They are sold out everywhere. I just ordered a Comet TAV2 Torq-a-verter and a 5/8" sleeve for the crankshaft. I have no idea if my gear ratios will be right but I guess I'm gonna find out soon enough. LOL.spr.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Those are cool. Sprockets are easy to change if she's totally 'out of whack'. Plus I can't say I've ever seen a 'verter with a shift-kit. That should be interesting, eh? :)

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Those are cool. Sprockets are easy to change if she's totally 'out of whack'. Plus I can't say I've ever seen a 'verter with a shift-kit. That should be interesting, eh? :)
If somebodies got to be the guinea pig, I guess it might as well be me. I have no idea if I'll have too much torque or too much high end. I hope it's somewhere in the middle. Contrary to popular belief, Los Angeles has a lot of steep streets.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Great looking bike and at least it will be street legal.

Joker Machine has succeeded in cramming a GX 200 into a Felt.
I don't know if they are selling their brackets yet.

More pics are here.

Wow! Now that is a tight fit. I tried every which way but Sunday but the engine mount just didn't work and the 200cc bolt pattern didn't match the holes in my engine mount either. Yeah legal is always good I guess. If I ever got pulled over on the 200cc I was just gonna claim it was a 49cc engine. I already took all the engine spec stickers off it. I still have that engine. I'm gonna stick it in gasbike.net's custom made bike frame with front and back 203mm hydraulic disk brakes. I want to be a member of the 50 or 60 MPH club. LOL

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
nice build you got going their....im definitely keeping my eye on this one...ive got a mp build going on that stopped because of too many broken motor studs and now switching to 4 stroke.....

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Hope that Comet TAV-2 works out for you, but I'll be honest with you: I think that's too much gearbox for a Huasheng.

I remember reading about another member who tried bolting one to a Huasheng and it was said that the HS doesn't make enough torque. The TAV-2 is also not designed for the high RPM that a HS will run. You're also going to run a jackshaft, which incurs additional losses to the drivetrain. You obviously have the need for speed (a folly of a thing to have on a motorized bicycle, IMHO) but I feel your part choices are gonna let you down.

Just my thoughts. I really hope it works out to your liking, that's a beautiful bike!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
nice build you got going their....im definitely keeping my eye on this one...ive got a mp build going on that stopped because of too many broken motor studs and now switching to 4 stroke.....
Thanks much. I'm kinda learning as I go, trial by fire on this thing. I've kinda gone off the traditional beaten path. I'm gonna install a TAV2 Series 30 Torq a verter with a sleeve on the crankshaft to drive this thing through the jackshaft. I have no idea how that's gonna go until I actually hit the gas. I'm just wingin' it. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Hope that Comet TAV-2 works out for you, but I'll be honest with you: I think that's too much gearbox for a Huasheng.

I remember reading about another member who tried bolting one to a Huasheng and it was said that the HS doesn't make enough torque. The TAV-2 is also not designed for the high RPM that a HS will run. You're also going to run a jackshaft, which incurs additional losses to the drivetrain. You obviously have the need for speed (a folly of a thing to have on a motorized bicycle, IMHO) but I feel your part choices are gonna let you down.

Just my thoughts. I really hope it works out to your liking, that's a beautiful bike!
There has to be a way to compensate (gear ratio wise) for the Huashengs gutlessness though right? Youre right though, I do have the need for speed but I gotta have torque to. Actually I want both. LOL

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
You'd have to come up with some kind of reduction between the PTO output of the engine and the input of the TAV.
How you could do such a thing is beyond me. That means yet another jackshaft and more drivetrain losses. Aesthetics would probably be shot, too!

The TAV is more suited to low-revvers engines with grunt. IMHO minimum would be a HF79. For what you paid for that HS, you could have got this engine instead!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You'd have to come up with some kind of reduction between the PTO output of the engine and the input of the TAV.
How you could do such a thing is beyond me. That means yet another jackshaft and more drivetrain losses. Aesthetics would probably be shot, too!

The TAV is more suited to low-revvers engines with grunt. IMHO minimum would be a HF79. For what you paid for that HS, you could have got this engine instead!
There is no HF79 anymore. Just a 99 and it's not California approved. The Huasheng was not on my top 10 list of engines but look what I got stuck with. LOL