A question for those with a successful SBP shift kit set up.

GoldenMotor.com

wasabi805

Jun 2, 2010
Santa Barbara, CA
What's going on everyone?

I'm getting ready to mount my shift kit. My question to those of you who have successful set ups.

What advice and recommendations do you have on building a good wheel? What kind of things should i keep in mind when building an up-to-par wheel?

Here's my situation. I have a steel beach cruiser frame without dropouts for the derailleur I've seen dropouts that you can buy that bolt onto the axel. Will these work?

The wheel I'm using is a 26 inch double walled rim with 12 gauge spokes.

The most important questions i have are:

A.) Can I use a sealed bearing set up for the hub and...
B.) Is there such thing as a sealed bearing set that will work with a mountain bike cassette?

Any recommendations and input on particular parts are well appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Wasabi

Last edited:

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
What's going on everyone?

I'm getting ready to mount my shift kit. My question to those of you who have successful set ups.

What advice and recommendations do you have on building a good wheel? What kind of things should i keep in mind when building an up-to-par wheel?

Here's my situation. I have a steel beach cruiser frame without dropouts for the derailleur I've seen dropouts that you can buy that bolt onto the axel. Will these work?
The wheel I'm using is a 26 inch double walled rim with 12 gauge spokes.

The most important questions i have are:

A.) Can I use a sealed bearing set up for the hub and...
B.) Is there such thing as a sealed bearing set that will work with a mountain bike cassette?

Any recommendations and input on particular parts are well appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Wasabi
I installed a 4stroke SBP shift kit on my murray cranbrook which has no derailleur drop outs. I bought my shimano tourney derailleur 6 to 7 speed with drop out bracket from Wal marts internet site

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shimano-RD-TX31-Tourney-with-Bracket-6-7-Speed/13012513
for $12.00. Hooked up to the shimano mega range free wheel cluster. So far so good. The granny has pulled my 215lbs up every steep hill around .Can also ride the cow trails toozpt

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I have a shift kit installed... If you're using a tuned pipe or planning to use one or increased the tailpipe diameter, then you have to recalculate your sprocket sizes, and would have to install the chain tensioner or make your own. For me, I made my own chain tensioner. The increased in torque would require a smaller chainring from the engine. But this all depends on your cassette. For me, I prefer using an internal gear hub, Shimano Alfine.
Reasons:
1) Shimano Alfine has better clutches built for off road.
2) A lot cheaper than the Rohloff
3) I can shift gears at a stationary position
4) I can use more durable BMX chains.
5) I don't need a derailer.
6) I can use disc brakes.
7) It's easier to remove the rear tire in case you get a flat.

Downside:
1) Adjusting and calibrating the shifting can be difficult for 1st timers.
2) You need to use low friction gear cables.
3) The shifter would be upside down if installed on the left side of the handle bar.
4) Incorrect gear shift calibration can damage the hub.
5) More expensive than cassette type hubs.
6) It's heavier than cassette types.

You decide... :)

Cheers...

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I built a 65lb. ROCKET, using 5hp+ GP460 engine and a mix of Scooterguy mount, pocketbike, shift kit and SBP components.

A super-duty expensive rear wheel is not necessary. You will NOT be breaking spokes and bending rims with a shift kit. I ran a stock rear wheel for months, before upgrading to double-wall Specialized wheelset w/14gauge SS spokes. The 32-spoke wheelset was on sale for $160. They looked beautiful, so I bought them.

With the shift kit, you get to keep your engine in its powerband, which is excellent. My 460 engine has a VERY narrow powerband. The shift kit was the perfect solution to harness this engine's awesome potential. When I ran this same engine with friction drive, it was an absolute dog on steep hills. Speed would decrease by 20mph. With the shift kit, the bike accelerates up those same hills.

It took months to solve many problems with my setup. The problem was the engine's high hp and finding the right gears/sprockets combination, not issues with the shift kit's.

My advice would be to research what gearing that other members with similar engines are using. Copy what they're using, at least as a starting point.

Good luck. Once you drive your engine thru the gears, you won't go back to single sprocket. It is pure joy; my MB sounds more like a motorcycle than a motorized bike or moped.

xct2

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro
hay pablo is there a way to get one of these 8 speed hubs that would live behind a 80 in a good 24in weel around you guys? i tryed to lace a weel not gunna happen pm me if you can help thanks:) would like 12 gage spokes and a 16 t cog if it could

Last edited: