Problems 80cc Jet bike motor??

GoldenMotor.com

Dan7777

Jun 11, 2010
Abbotsford BC Canada
My questions are 1/ Do they work well in the rain?? Here it rains a lot!!
2/ From the start it never ran well or faster past 3/4s throtule.....how can I get more speed??
Now it goes a little faster for a bit then slows down a lot like there is a LOT of drag and runs BAD untill I let off the trottule back to 3/4s throttule and it will not let me use more gas, or I go slower!!??
3/ From the start it "NEVER" idled, at all, I tried the mixture screw(from 4-full turns to 6) where SHOULD it be set to idle like it should?? Now I have to restart at EVERY light and stop?? I am at sea level!!

I am thrilled with the one I bought in Canada about 1 1/2 months ago, but I think I made a big mistake when I cleaned it at a do it yourself car wash place with a presure hose, yes it stopped working right, now it is very hard to start(needs much more speed to start)!!?? AND it is running a little slower but it is running!!?? 1/ What could it have done......spark plug(I did do it cold)??
2/ carb....messed it up?? ....................I am at a loss??

IThese are GREAT.......the 50,70,80 all look the same......witch is great because only the 50 is legal to run on the roads without insurance and a drivers lisence.....whitch is good for me because I dont have a lisence!! No I just let it expire after a very bad accident(a kids fault completely)(I was crippled for 7 years but healthy now) because I am to nervouse to drive now!!
Do you have more info that can help me,........but I "DO" thank-you for that!!
I am old school.....learned hands on......never was trained at all......learned from working with rebuilders and race car builders...

Dan...............In British Columbia Canada

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I think you either have a air leak in the intake, or something is up with your carb, have you dismatled the carb, possibly a little water got in there, take the bowl off and dump the gas on a dark dry surface, if it developes things that look like bubbles then there is water in the carb. This will cause ****ty performance if it does run at all If there is water in the carb I just take 90% rubbing alcohol (or gas, alchohol doesn't make my hands reak I have a new baby rather not pick her up with reaking hands) and rinse everything with that, then put it back together. If it's your intake just get some gasket material, a sheet will last 4 ever if your just replacing gaskets here and there on one of these.

Last edited:

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Did you break in the motor first or just pin the throttle from day one? You may have blown your top end. Did you plug up the hole the wires go through into the magneto case with sealant? RTV sealant will do a good job keeping water out of that area. The other 10% of rubbing alchohol is water. Bad for fuel systems. Engine parts should always be cleaned with mineral spirits.

Dan7777

Jun 11, 2010
Abbotsford BC Canada
I was Very carefull to break it in very carefully and slowly!
I dumped ALL the gas in it EVERYWHERE, tank to lines! I will do the carb next!!

As I said the throttle 3/4 top speed was from day one, HOW can this be improved??

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
air leaks or possibly jet settings but I would take off your intake and check those gaskets both the one where it connects to the head and the one after the carb if in doubt cut a new one and seal it up.

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Didja look in the carb to see if the li'l piston is rising all the way up with a full throttle twist? If not check your cable adjustment.
Pull your magneto cover and get the water out of the magneto area and seal it up. Insulate the wire better from the magneto w/shrink tubing.
Bairdco said same thing, seal the wire at where they go into the mag housing.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If you sprayed water on the hot engine ,,you may have warped a head ,maybe you can feel around it when you "first" start it, for air escaping