Front brake for moped bike

GoldenMotor.com

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn
So I reclaimed a brake off an electric chopper and put it on the 20" front tire I'm using to rebuild my dead moped. I have no idea how well this will hold up but I do have a rear coaster, fingers crossed that's enough. I tried it wheeling around the house and the washers popped out of the spokes so I put them in the vice and dished them all. It seems to work now. Has anybody used these?

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
yes i ordered those from scooter supply and they dident cut it.....dident even make it out of my yard.....I installed them front and rear....i have 29" tires so they dident even slow the bike down....i think they have to be much larger to work.....its a shame they looked great....and i made mini "rag joint" for front wheel and self tapping screws into the sprocket for the back...Hope you have better luck.....J

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn
Yeah, there isn't a whole ton of stopping power there, but I do have a tip. I had installed the brake on the right side and had to switch it to the left side because it did almost nothing on the right side. My guess is that since it works like an oil filter wrench it only works in one direction. I should add rubber washers like they do for the rear sprocket.