clutch is slipping no matter how much i tighten it.

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
So i have had my bike running for 3 days now, and yesterday i noticed that the clutch was slipping when i started it, so i took off the clutch cover and tightened the flower nut, and all was good for a while, until today i took it out for a ride, went about 5 miles, let it cool and tried to start it again and the clutch was slipping again. So i tightened again and it it is still slipping no matter how much i tighten it. I don't think i need new pads since i have only gone 7-8 miles on this bike. The pads are about 2mm thick, which is thinner than i remember in the beginning. Any insight on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, my engine is a chinese 66cc 2 stroke.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
first, are you adjusting clutch cable before adjusting flower nut? read on forum about correct steps

clutch tension is controlled by distance between the lock position of clutch lever and unlock position - greater the distance between them the greater the grab in the clutch - you may have a bad lever

Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
I did adjust the lever/cable before adjusting the flower nut. Also, i noticed that the clutch plate has a mirror finish from slipping, so i am roughing it up with some coarse sandpaper.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Did you lubricate the gears on the right side of the engine? Excessive lubrication (grease) can find its way into the clutch and cause slipping. A leaking crankshaft seal behind the primary (small gear) can introduce oil into the clutch also.

You need to start with a proper adjustment. Here's a good tutorial on how to correctly adjust the clutch starting with the cable > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

Tom

Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
Did you lubricate the gears on the right side of the engine? Excessive lubrication (grease) can find its way into the clutch and cause slipping. A leaking crankshaft seal behind the primary (small gear) can introduce oil into the clutch also.

You need to start with a proper adjustment. Here's a good tutorial on how to correctly adjust the clutch starting with the cable > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

Tom
I have followed all the instructions on that page, as well as cleaned the clutch pads and pressure plate with acetone to remove any grease and roughed up the plate with some sandpaper, and it is slipping worse than ever now, it will not even crank the engine over now. I am thinking i need new clutch pads.:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good for you, Longboard. Congratulations.

The friction pads can be cleaned using a good de-greaser like Brake-Clean. Blast them with the solvent and either allow to air dry or use compressed air. A light roughing with sandpaper doesn't hurt either.

Tom