What is wrong? Clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

michaelbikin

Jul 9, 2015
New Hampshire
My drive sprocket cover will not go on, as you can see in this first image below, no matter what angle I put my clutch arm down in the cover, it will not go on, if I take the clutch arm out, it goes on fine, so I know it's not a clearance problem. Why is this happening? Is it because the pin in the second picture is supposed to push in?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Your pictures aren't showing up on my phone, but most of the time tightening the 3 screws evenly will push the rod in and it's all normal and good.

You'll feel it going in when tightening. If you don't, stop. It shouldn't be too hard, just the spring inside's resistance. If you can't get the screws all the way in and there's a gap, don't force it. Come back and we'll figure out what to do next.

michaelbikin

Jul 9, 2015
New Hampshire
I stopped as they weren't going in... The cover cannot go all the way on, but luckily my clutch is working now as I screwed them in as far as they would go before causing damage, and now when I squeeze the clutch I can peddle freely, and when I let go there is a bit of tension and I slowly start slowing down... But, unfortunately, my engine won't start, I don't think there is compression and when I go even 20 mph down the hill even without pedaling after I release the clutch, the bike doesn't start, I have been able to get the bike to start with a pull start, but not by pedaling, why is this? I have tried doing this with the kill switch unplugged and plugged in...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'm wondering if your clutch shaft might have gotten knocked way out to the drive side or something like that - pics might help here, but you may need to find someone in your area to take a quick peek at it. That cover should go on and whatever is stopping it should be easy to spot for anyone that knows how they should look.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
clutch shaft goes all the way across back of motor - clutch on one end, drive sprocket on other

with clutch all the way seated, the big gear should be sticking out just a bit less than the small gear does - if more, then the side at the drive sprocket could be sticking out too much because the factory didn't set it right

more likely, the flower nut needs to be tightened up quite a bit

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm not seeing the pictures either, but I'm thinking either improper assembly from the factory or the flower nut could be way too loose... Pics or a short youtube vid will help...