1967 Schwinn Racer "BMX style"

GoldenMotor.com

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
The bike is finished. It rides extremely well. Nothing special about the build in particular. I just wanted a bike that I can get around on anywhere in town without drawing too much attention like my other bikes. Sometimes I just want to ride without being asked a million questions, handing out business cards, or worrying about people thinking I'm a motorcycle on the path. This bike is light, fast, quiet and just looks like a bike.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Bike update...

Since my last post the bike has gotten a face lift. The bmx style forks sucked, plain and simple. They would work great for a track setting but I only go to the race track here about twice a year; and I'm not going to California for racing anytime soon. The rigid forks had to go. Anyway, I threw on some suspension forks and some flat bars, now it feels great. The only thing that I don't like about this bike is I cannot run fat tires without modding the frame. Right now there are 26x1.75's on there. I want 2.125's or 2.30's.

The bike used to have a dax engine, but that engine was old and out of date. I recently bought and built a new engine off of ebay and I think I got a gem. The engine is already on the bike. It is the hybrid engine with the ZAE50 connecting rod. It has a 38mm stroke but uses a type A piston. It has a caged lower bearing and I upgraded the wrist pin bearing to a KT10x14x15.

Right now all I have done is the standard upgrades plus some: bearings, plug & wire, hardware, gaskets, intake, exhaust, porting, and I shortened the cylinder body and milled the factory head. I got it up to 48mph tucked-down the other day on a 34t and dialed in NT. I think it could have broke 50 but when I let off when I seen how fast I was going. Maybe it's the skinny tires :p. Usually other engines I built like this are sluggish on the low end but scream from mid to top end. This hybrid engine has great low end power and doesn't require much of any pedaling off the line and screams all through out the rpm range. L:eek:k out!

This engine is no lemon that's for sure. Future upgrades will include a VM18, big block reed kit, fred head, and possibly a Lightning CDI. After these mods I'm sure that the bike will need a bigger sprocket to keep the top speed under control.

Last edited: