exhaust bolts keep backing out?

GoldenMotor.com

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
ive ran studs bolts everything to try to keep my exhaust on and to no avail my exhaust keeps getting loose and pissing me off cause i cant ride any tips for keeping my exhaust on??

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I've added a spring, using a hose clamp to hold it to the pipe a few inches away from the exhaust flange & anchored to the engine block. This has kept my exhaust from loosening. Also used a little red Loctite and 2 lock washers.
Cheers,
-Low-

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you using a secondary clamp to hold the muffler or just relying on the fasteners at the cylinder?

You need to support the muffler securing it to the bike frame. You might also check the flange for a flush fit. Most every exhaust flange is warped from the welding process and doesn't fit flush against the cylinder which will allow it to move even when tightened. You can check the flange by cleaning it and 'painting' it with a magic marker or machinist dye then rubbing it against sandpaper on a flat surface such as a sheet of glass. You'll quickly see where the high and low spots are and what needs to be done to make a good flat gasket sealing surface.

I'd shy away from red Loctite. If a stud or bolt ever breaks off in the cylinder you'll have trouble getting it out. Blue, #242 Loctite is a better option. It will hold as well as the red and is removable where red is considered a permanent assembly.
Good luck.

Tom