98cc Villiers on a 1945 Sears Roebuck

GoldenMotor.com

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Whew! Thanks for the links Curt. I read the build thread(s) as time allowed throughout the day. I'm guessing that I'll have a hard time making up my mind but I have plenty to keep me busy.
I built a stand from 80-20 aluminum extrusion for the engine as a temporary mount so that I can work on it. I'll need to get a gasket set on order soon. There wasn't a gasket between the bowl and the carburator body or between the intake and the cylinder but there didn't seem to be much fuel or burnt exhaust anywhere. I'm anxious to hear the little Villiers run but I'm also enjoying detailing the bits and pieces.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome, you are doing the fun stuff with lost of anticipation and hope. I have been working on a old Briggs model I. Its a military color has a oil pump and ball bearing shaft, porting out the intake some, lot of cool things on the forum.................Curt

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for the welcome Curt (although I've been here for a little while). I'm making progress slow but sure and that's what I expected. Here's my extrusion rig for holding the Villiers while I tinker with it.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I also made a jig from 80/20 aluminum extrusions to keep the frame straight and managed to cut the dented down tube out today. Then spent a while fitting the top tube from the step through frame into its place. Still a lot of clean up to do before the welding starts.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Curt. Got to like 80/20 extrusions and the connectors. It's like an erector set for big kids.
Yup Moto that's about as jiggie as I get. The Villiers is a 98cc two smoker that's about 12" x 12" x 6" (or since it was made in England ~385mm x 385mm x 190mm). I don't have a guess on the weight since it's bolted to that big chunk of aluminum but the cylinder is cast iron, the carb and intake are brass, and the mounting plates are steel. Pretty stout for an engine the size of a large pineapple.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I was looking at the photo I had posted of the "loop" section in its temporary position in the frame and it's kind of hard to tell if there's really much difference without seeing the original. Maybe this is clear enough but maybe not, anyway I layered the new photo over the original to show the change in the frame. Should give me just a little more space for the engine and whatever else I want to cram in there.
image.png

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I think I should correct a minor misunderstanding; the engine was made in the days of Proper Measurements, and the external dimensions are in inches, not Foreign.

Last edited:

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I think I shouled correct a minor misunderstanding; the engine was made in the days of Proper Measurements, and th external dimensions are in inches, not Foreign.
Chains and furlongs? I'm always comfortable with being wrong and I appreciate the correction. Thanks Ludwig II. I was going to just use the Internet standard of a banana for scale but then we'd likely digress into what type of bananas should be considered as standard, etc.. I did take IWW's advice and blew off a beautiful afternoon that should have been spent in the yard and stayed in the garage. I'll pay for that in the late fall when I'm out there in the snow.

Next thing to rig up on my frame jig will be a way to straighten, spread and align the rear stays. I bought a Sturmey Archer drum brake for the rear and there's no way it's fitting in between the dropouts as is.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Curtis I like your spreader and the price is great. I use the wood clamp just because I had it.Harold frame looks good with the curve.

Attachments

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Moto and thanks for the link Curt. I like the price as well! Perhaps a couple will get ordered while I'm in a turkey stupor later tonight.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep handy for lot of stuff, they say to put a bolt through the dropouts at the right width,with the spreader up front. Got thew info off the forum, LoL................Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You are welcome! Its fun looking for the perfect one that will work, i too have been saving them for myself. All them ideas will have to build a lot of bike to use them all,LOL..........Curt