fuel gauge for bike

GoldenMotor.com

Tmoney

Apr 28, 2011
california
I know that fuel gauge. Its made buy a company in japan called Asahi Denso or otherwise known as A.D. They go for $25.00. Last I checked they are not available :( Probably due to the radioactive contamination from the nuclear plants that were hit by the quake.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I'm waiting on 2) 3/8ths x 1/4 " barbed 90 degree elbows right now. Bought them on eBay. There's a speciality house brass supplier in town but it would take a special trip and end up costing just as much as the eBay purchase. Thing is I ordered 7 other things at the same time and the parts are the last to come in and they still haven't. I won't be ordering from them again :/

Tmoney

Apr 28, 2011
california
They do sell gas gauges for bikes. the company that I know of is called A.D performance parts. their gas gauge fits I think fits a 33mm fuel hole. This company is based in japan. I dont know if they still make them but they go for about $25.00.

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
I like the John Deere tractor gauge on the cap, however.. you'd prolly have to mod the gas cap for your gas tank to actually work that way. Because I highly doubt that cap would fit on a 2.5liter gas tank for a bicycle.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
.... The only thing now is the gas is clear and will be harder to see in the tube. Back then, the gas had an orange tint to it ....
I'm using a synthetic 2-stroke oil, and even at 40:1 the fuel has a definate blue tint to it.

That said, I fill my tank twice a week. When I finish the 'weekend maintenance', and usually when I get home on Wednesday evening or so. I have run it out of gas once, wasn't fun getting the rest of the way home on manual power. While I was close to home, it was 2 blocks of uphill distance I had to deal with.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
J-3 Cubs AKA Piper Cubs fuel gauge was a top with a wire connected to a cork float that rested in the tank. Worked just fine, bounced around a little and had to make sure it was free and not rusted after sitting a long time .

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
J-3 Cubs AKA Piper Cubs fuel gauge was a top with a wire connected to a cork float that rested in the tank. Worked just fine, bounced around a little and had to make sure it was free and not rusted after sitting a long time .
Gauges of the same type were used on OMC marine gas tanks. One of these days I'm going to use one on an in frame tank. You can bend the wire rod to any angle and shorten it if need be. I've salvaged a number of them from the dump, not too sure why, though, since I haven't used one yet. Would be very convenient to just look down at the little glass window and see how the fuel supply is holding up.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have a fuel gauge on my bike. It has three moving parts.
One hand to unscrew the cap and two eyes to look in the tank.

Fer cryin' out loud :(
Tom

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Back in the days when teaching AF pilots how to fly, those planes had a instrument to measure everything , more clocks than a Swiss watch factory. The students were required to go on the wing and visually check the fuel ,,,,,,,eyesite, No trust the gauges. So there you go, Tom aka 2door is so correct.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I have a fuel gauge on my bike. It has three moving parts.
One hand to unscrew the cap and two eyes to look in the tank.

Fer cryin' out loud :(
Tom
My fuel gauge was a chopstick with slight notches in it. I had trouble seeing down in the tank, so this helped. I can't remember needing anything more sophisticated than that.

P.S. Yes, it was a clean chopstick; I don't need 87 octane egg foo yung.

P.P.S. Being a China Girl, I figured a using chopstick to "stick the tank" seemed oddly appropriate.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My fuel gauge was a chopstick with slight notches in it. I had trouble seeing down in the tank, so this helped. I can't remember needing anything more sophisticated than that.

P.S. Yes, it was a clean chopstick; I don't need 87 octane egg foo yung.

P.P.S. Being a China Girl, I figured a using chopstick to "stick the tank" seemed oddly appropriate.
At least have a piece of rice on it:D