lots of work to do

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
So, I am in the process of rebuilding for the umpteenth time. This time, I wanna do everything right, including the paint job. Here is what's going on. I have a Huffy Cranbrook beach cruiser, a plastic 2 gallon Yamaha gas tank, black saddle bags, and my silver 66cc motor should be delivered tomorrow. Here is my plan. I have read of spray-on foaming paint stripper available at walmart. I am going to pick up 2 cans of that, one can of black spraypaint, one of red, and 1 or 2 cans of clearcoat. I have already stripped the bike down to the frame and plan to strip it as well as the gas tank. The gas tank needs to be stripped because it was painted, as I was previously unaware that plastic gas tanks breathe and when you paint them its not good. I will touch up the gas tank, but not paint it all around. once all paint is stripped from the frame, it will be painted red. the gas tank will only be touched up and not clear coated, but the frame will be clear coated. So i will have a red frame, black tank, and black saddlebags. The bike will at that point be renamed The Violator. Any thoughts or advice are welcome.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Primer and sand paper. Get a tack cloth while your at it. Sand paper pack from 3M with 220, 320 and 400. Wet sand lightly between coats and use the tack cloth to *lightly* rub down the frame between coats of paint. If you can find one Paint Spray Can Holder that snaps on the top. The handle makes it much easier to apply. Paint it upside down first, painting the hard to reach places first. Go around the bike twice, painting a light coat first time around then hang on a color coat. Let it dry enough to flip over then hit the missed spots. Dry and wet sand again. The hardest part about painting a bike is getting the last coat on and wet at the same time so when it dries it has a uniform look when it's dried.

Just take your time and it will look fine :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
DaveC gives good advice when it comes to hanging the frame upside down. You'll be amazed at how easy it is to miss places that will be very obvious when you think you're finished.
You might consider a fuel proof paint for the tank. I use TopFlite model airplane clear for my tanks or any part that might come in contact with gasloine. It goes on nice and dries to a high gloss. Gasoline won't effect it. I had a plastic HS tank and used the TopFlite primer before the color coat. It didn't bubble up after painting. Good luck.
Tom

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I was going to add try to find Plasticoat paint for the tank. I've used it to paint race car plastic but I don't know how well it works around gas. 2door has a fuel proof way and I'd try that. It always sands off if nothing else ;)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
No, I'm not painting the whole tank, just the spots where dirt is caked into the finish. I'm actually thinking the stripper might take care of that for me. Whether or not a single drop of paint even touches the tank will depend on how it looks when I'm done stripping it. It is a black tank and that's the color I want, so if it doesn't look too bad, I ain't even gonna touch it. If I see a spot here or there that I don't like, then I will hit it lightly with the paint. This is what I did when I first got it, and it worked fine. I didn't have any problems with it until I decided to paint it an entirely different color. As far as the advice for painting the frame, I do like the idea of painting it upside down first. No need for a second coat on the bottom though, as hard to reach spots are also typically not noticeable at a glance. As far as the sanding goes, i plan on lightly coating it until the color comes out reasonably smooth. I am not going to heavy coat it at all. I am also not looking for that absolutely perfect paint job. I do want it to look good, but it doesn't need to sparkle and shine. Also, the way you are suggesting to do it will take a good bit of work and time. I need to get it painted and have the bike rebuilt in a few days to a business week, because I need to start looking for a job soon. I am getting married in about a month, so getting a job is number one on my list. I do appreciate the input, but another factor is budget. I have about $50 to spend on this, and just the painting supplies take up half that money. I also need a few other supplies as well.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
my new engine got here today, and it is freakin' sweet! i ordered it from lucky early bird on ebay. what I especially like about it is hhow the engine mounts are spaced. the front engine mount actually fits my oversized down tube. no more clamping. i used to rig up my engine mounts with a seat post and an exhaust clamp. thankfully, no more of that. now i just have to wait for my unemployment so i can paint the bike and then i will be ready to rock!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
i have decided to go for a board track/bobber/streetbike type look. i wont know exactly what i am imitating till i finish building. all i know is that i have lowered my handlebars as low as they will go, and tomorrow I am going to move the seat back as far as it will go. i know i cant create a true boardie look because of my oversized fuel tank, but a cross between boardie and bobber might not be impossible. wer will just have to wait and see.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, I finally got paid! Been waiting for about 3 weeks to have the money to paint my frame. I have changed my mind and made a couple different decisions about this paint job. One decision I have made is to go back to the stock gas tank. The yamaha tank just doesn't fit with the look I am going for, especially since I have found some great vintage parts and I am attempting a board track look. Another change is that I am going with engine paint. The gas tank and my helmet will both match the color of the frame. I am still doing the red. I know the stock tank doesn't fit with the boardie look, but its closer than the gigantic tank I was using. I will probably sell the yamaha tank, as well as an old motorcycle trunk I am not using anymore. Can't wait to get this thing done!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I don't have any pics, but you can google it. Its a yamaha tri-moto tank from years 1983 through 1985. If you're interested in it, message me and we can talk about it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
BBB
I was asking about your tank because I've used a Yamaha MX 80 tank. They aren't hard to find and lend themselves well to motor bikes. They hold just over a gallon and blend in with the lines of a cruiser style frame.
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thanks for the info, 2door. I googled the tanks. They are nice looking tanks. I am trying to keep my bike on a budget nowadays. I chose to us engine paint for two reasons. One, its strong paint. Two, its the cheapest way to paint my bike. I also chose to go back to the stock tank rather than buy a new tank to save $$$. I don't want to spend a pile on my bike anymore, so I'm just gonna stick with the stock tank. Thanks anyway.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, the bike should be finished tomorrow. I have finished painting and have installed all the vintage parts that I saved from a junk bike. All that is left is to install the new motor and the ignition box. I am very excited and will definitely post pictures when its finished. Can't wait!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, my bike is finished, save for a few minor details such as re-attaching my headlight and installing my new throttle cable when it gets here. The paint job is sick. Its red-orange engine enamel on the frame, rear rack, tank and my helmet. Regular orange on the front rim. Vintage leather seat lowered all the way down. Curved handlebars flipped upside down and angled as low as I can still comfortably reach them. Black saddlebags from wallyworld. 66cc engine from luckyearlybird on ebay. I will start a thread about it after I snap some pics tomorrow. This thing is sick!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Pictures coming VERY soon! I was making a few adjustments and I had to stop to use the water closet. I have two things left to do. I have to Loctite the mounting bolts, which won't take long, and I have to find my old throttle slide, because the one I put in is too small, and my engine was peeing fuel when I started it yesterday. All I have to say is you will be amazed at what can be done to make a Huffy Cranbrook look really awesome.