SHOULD i UPGRADE CHAIN

GoldenMotor.com

bill gurreri

Mar 30, 2011
york , pa, usa
wAITING FOR THE STARFIRE TO ARIVE AND I HEARD THE STOCK KIT CHAIN IS WEAK...SHOULD I REPLACE FOR ROAD DRIVING WITH HILLS. iF SO WHAT DO i NEED TO KNOW WHEN i ORDER IT.LOOKS LIKE REGULAR BIKE CHAIN BREAK WON'T WORK SO I NEED TO GET A TOOL.... IS THIS ACCURATE

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my 66cc GT4 Starfire's came with that big motorcycle chain, which is almost a #41 chain. i've snapped every one of them. the last one came back and smacked into the case, breaking a mounting stud off and cracking the left side case.

i've since upgraded all my chains to Diamond #41 chains, made in USA. got 'em off ebay for cheap.

you can buy chains from fastenal, tractor supply, and other industrial supply places, but my advice is pay the extra for american-made quality. i bought a 10' china chain from fastenal, and broke that, too.

my motors are modded and have a lot more torque, so that helps to destroy cheap chains, but i'd still replace 'em even if i left the bike stock.

for a chain breaker, Harbor Freight has a cheap one that works great for larger chains. mine came with 2 different size pins, one smaller that fit bicycles, but it seems none of them come with those anymore.

here's the link: http://motorbicycling.com/f34/chain-breaker-harbor-freight-12689.html

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I have to agree with Bairdco. I use #41 Diamond brand chain on all my builds. I even use it on the pedal side now. One 10' box of chain does both sides of the bike. Whenever I buy a box I always get one extra Diamond brand master link and a half link as well. Getting two chains tensioned correctly can sometimes be a challenge.
Pat

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
#41 is the same pitch just wider, I was once in a bind and tried to use a #41 master link on my 410, it did not work out well, another one of my dumb ideas.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I still run my stock chain, it will stretch a little, so you may have to tighten it after running it for a bit.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
#41 and #415, as well as cruiser style bicycle chain is all 1/2" pitch. That is why you can use different types. The widths are different but I know for a fact that #41 works on china two strokes and the bicycle side. I know this from experience.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
FWIW I got rid of the stock 410 chain that came with my GT-5 66cc. after seeing how twisted it was. Because I am running a 3" wide tire and chain clearance was an issue I tried the KMC 415HD that Pirate sells. Much better quality and still narrow enough to give me the needed clearance. Be sure to get the HD chain, it is a "roller" type and better than a standard bushing type bike chain. #41 is stronger and the best to use if you can however.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Bill,
Your price was retail and entirely fair. $40 is a drop in the bucket in the big picture. I have yet to wear out one of these chains. Some people will claim chain stretch and it is possible even with a good chain. What I see more of is sprockets that are not cut correct so once the sprocket (aluminum sprockets to be clear) wears in to the chain and the chain sits deeper in the sprocket teeth, you'll have to readjust. People may be skeptical of this claim but I have tried to wrap a chain around lots of sprockets. If you can't get a full wrap with FULL engagement then the sprocket is not cut at a true 1/2" link pitch.

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
Thanks for the tip Bill. I use Google to locate just about everything else that I buy. . . don't know why I didn't think to do it for this :x

Cheers.

bill gurreri

Mar 30, 2011
york , pa, usa
turned out there was an industrial supply store a mile from my house. I passed there a thousand times. I even ran through their yard in an ice storm. but I never put 2 and 2 together. i think they will be a good source for bearings and other things as well.
i'll keep ya posted