choosing a crank shaft

GoldenMotor.com

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
so im working on my next motor(finally)and i have two crank shafts to choose from for reassembling

the both are the same one has a little less rust than the other and looks cleaner but i want to choose the best balenced one

how do i go about testing how well they are balenced my first thought was to hook up an electric drill and spin em but that just didnt set right in my mind

any suggestions on how to do that

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
To pick the best one you'll need a couple V Blocks and a DTI (Dial Test Indicator). A lathe and a DTI would work too. A local machine shop might test both of them for trueness too for cheap if you don't have any of the test equipment mentioned. Now keep in mind with a single cylinder engine it's pretty tough to get perfect "balance" but if you can get your cranks running as true as possible you should end up with a fairly smooth running engine.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
thanks for the input guys ill study up later im kinda pulling a allnighter

@ goat dude i didnt realize i tore this motor apart over two months ago dang life is slow

but at least im finally getting some progress done ill have to read that old thread

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
well that sort of makes sense i really dont have the equipment to tackle the job i may have to take er to a machine shop