Would this work?

GoldenMotor.com

kattay

Sep 21, 2010
Georgia
Hi all! I am new and I am about to embark on my first building experience!

I have been reading about the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke and have decided to go for the 4 stroke. I hear its quieter which is good for me since I will be riding it to class and don't want to be THAT person who rides the loud bike and makes everyone look over their shoulder. I also don't really want to deal with mixing the gas and the oil. Lastly, I have heard that the 4 stroke gets a little more power and lets face it, I'm not the smallest twig on the bush :/ Please comment if anything here is wrong or if important info is missing!

I am unsure as to whether my current bike will work out. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to mount the motor on the down tube. I don't know if it would work on the top tube though. I've attached a picture of a bike similar to mine. I'd post an actual picture but at the moment it is dark and people usually are gathered outside acting crazy (gotta love college life!). Also, it is difficult enough to type with my chest spasms I'm experiencing today, so I don't know if I could actually pick up my arm to click the camera! :( I know there are rear-mounting kits, but I'm not sure I like the way those look and my bookbag would probably get in the way. If I have to, I can get a new bike, but it'll have to be a cheaper one. I'm considering selling my guitar I never play to make up some money to do this project, so it goes without saying that I'm a college student and I don't have a fortune to spend!

Any help or comments would appreciated! Also, if you think it'd work to mount the motor and such onthe top tube, please post some pictures so I can see how it looks. Thus far, I haven't found too many of them (which in part leads me to believe it is a practice frowned upon by the bicycling community). I'm a bit overwhelmed and confused and tired of reading stuff I really only partly understand, so please help me! Sorry its a bit long!

Attachments

kattay

Sep 21, 2010
Georgia
Whats all that mean?? :/

Do I need to find a motor that says rear mount or just buy an extra mounting kit to rear mount it?

I was looking at my bike and what all would need to be done to fix it up nice and then looked at other bikes online. I realize it is not a top-quality bike, but at least it is new and rust-free and if I keep it in my apartment it will stay nice. Would this motor work on this bike?

MOTOR: http://www.daemonbikes.com/products/4-Stroke-49CC-Bike-Engine-Kit.html
BIKE: http://www.walmart.com/ip/NEXT-Amplifier-26-Men-s-Bike/14277827

Any suggestions for a good bike to build on would be appreciated.

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Whats all that mean?? :/

Do I need to find a motor that says rear mount or just buy an extra kit to rear mount it?
Here is a link for an entire kit, motor and rear mount and all hardware:

Grubee SkyHawk 4G T-Belt Drive 49cc Gas Bike Motor Kit from GasBike.net

(shipping was about $38.00)

I have this kit since June, literally 1/2 mile on it, and I MAY be selling it. (I am going in another direction.) PM me if you're interested.

Either way, welcome and best of luck on your build!

:)

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
i have seen people take the top tube off to an ladys bike flip it over and reatach it to the upper part even higher ,,, i am a newbie too though ... and have junk frames to work with .... you may want to have the rear mount ..... unless you have help .... but I get 96% of my help here. Or do an modify to an modify from here

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Find yourself a junked out MTB that has a frame that will fit an engine and just transfer all the parts off your bike onto it.

kattay

Sep 21, 2010
Georgia
If i rented a house instead of an apartment, believe me I would be ALL over customizing something nice. But I don't have the room to really work on anything in my apartment and it's on the 2nd floor so I don't have a back porch area so I'm really just wanting to mount the thing and be done with it. For now. Things may change come next year if things work out and I can get myself into a nice little house.

I may consider going with the rear-mount, but the biggest thing is that I will be using this to get to classes on a college campus. People are jerks (they threw my bike seat in a near-by creek once for the heck of it) so I am just thinking that a rear-mount would be more inviting to mess with rather than one that mounts "inside" the bike. I saw this cruiser bike at Walmart (yeah, wally world) for about $100 that looks pretty nice, and I've always thought those bikes were cute, plus it'll make my mom jealous (she LOVES those kind)! :)

I know the dimensions of the motor are 9.5 high x 9 x 9. I measured out the inside of the bike and a "cube" that size would fit, but because of the curvy-ness I'm apprehensive about going for it immediately. Otherwise I'd have bought the thing last night and figured out how to stuff it into my Ford Focus ZX3 and ordered the motor. :)

I attached a pic of the bike. For those of you who have mounted these things before, what are your thoughts? Would it be relatively easy to fit it in there?

Attachments

kattay

Sep 21, 2010
Georgia
Yes, I was looking around on the forum and found that thread about an hour after I posted that message. :)

I think I definately want to go with that bike. It looks awesome and seems like it would be nice and comfy for me!

Last question: 2-stroke and 4-stroke. whats the deciding factor? other than the inconvinience of mixing the gas and oil, what factors are MOST important to consider? Also, is there a definitive difference in noise levels?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Only had a 2 cycle kit but from what I understand the 4 cycles are a bit quieter. The fact that you can just pull up to a pump and fill the tank would be nice but for me the biggest deciding factor between a 2 cycle kit and a 4 cycle is the price. Once was you could pretty much figure on spending twice as much on a 4 cycle as you would on a 2 cycle but that's not quite true anymore since the prices on 2 cycles have spiked recently. Prices may come down on 2 cycle kits as we get closer to the end of the summer season, they always have in the past.

A 2 cycle engine is always going to produce more power per CC then a 4 cycle simply because every 2nd revolution is a power stroke instead of every 4th.

Another thing to keep in mind on a 4 cycle is there are a lot more parts to deal with since they have to have a gear reduction transmission and I have yet to hear of one that is as trouble free as a 2 cycle.

I've often considered putting a 4 cycle on my next bike but I just can't get past the extra cost and maintenance needed with one just to save me from mixing gas.

kattay

Sep 21, 2010
Georgia
Only had a 2 cycle kit but from what I understand the 4 cycles are a bit quieter.

A 2 cycle engine is always going to produce more power per CC then a 4 cycle simply because every 2nd revolution is a power stroke instead of every 4th.

Another thing to keep in mind on a 4 cycle is there are a lot more parts to deal with since they have to have a gear reduction transmission and I have yet to hear of one that is as trouble free as a 2 cycle.
Ok, so is it head-turning loud or just a slight bit louder, cause if it isn't that much of a difference I'd be fine with it. Also, I'm not a small person, but I thought that the 2's had more get-up-and-go and the 4's had a higher top speed total. With your 2, whats your average and top speeds, assuming minimal hills and such?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
My average cruising speed is around 32-35 and I weigh somewhere around 230 but keep in mind I have an expansion chamber, 36 tooth sprocket and I've done a little work on my motor. With the bone stock kit my absolute top speed was 29 (downhill) and I averaged around 22-25.

Something else I just thought of, another plus for a 2 cycle is you just need to spread some old towels over your dining room table and you can have one completely torn down with just minimal hand tools without having to deal with the oil of a 4 cycle. :D

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
stay on it what ever you get ,, and study an lot ,,,, i was here for a long time before i got my motor and still had some trouble ... but i have studied so many threads i about know what to do for the problem ,,,, this site is like an school to me ... but you dont have to send an stamp away to get started lol ,,, buy an motor and get all the info you need ... your first build is such an reward ,,, great way to learn too . my grand kids love helping me ... i keep it locked up so they cant get to it unless i am with them ... keep us posted ... and after a while you will learn an fix to help others .,,, P. S the locksmith course didnt work out for me lol but that was another site

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Be warned that the gearbox in this kit is the worst on the market.

Also this seller is delusional or a blatant liar making outrageous claims
that the 4 stroke can go 60 mph, etc. Most of the info is wrong.

Two stroke parts are mixed in with the pics of the 4 stroke kit

The motor is good, but you will have to replace the gearbox.
The kit components are so so and you will have no warranty.