The 'Truck Vice' for Tailpipe Bending

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I used this before on a build, pics in this topic.
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/giant-3-speed-suede-w-jackshaft-19916.html

I found I need it again today and tried it on a chrome no-cat pipe.

No joy whatsoever.
That chrome pipe just won't bend and all I got was a sore back.

It did however work dandy on the black stock pipes.

Just a tip in case you find yourself needing just a little bend to fit and don't have a big bench mounted vise or torch and heavy duty gloves.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Do you have a piece of fence pipe or something you could use to slip over the muffler as a cheater? Wrap the muffler in a rag or news paper first to help prevent scratches if ya want to.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Do you have a piece of fence pipe or something you could use to slip over the muffler as a cheater? Wrap the muffler in a rag or news paper first to help prevent scratches if ya want to.
Actually I was thinking along the very same lines gearNut.
Just a long handle to slip over the pipe and I am thing a 6' 2x4 with just a little screwed together box on the business end to slip over the pipe a good foot.

I have wood working tools, and wood would (like that? wood would?) solve all the scaring problems, it gives before metal, but only so much ;-)

Maybe next time, I don't need it today, just something I figure I could make to 'enhance' the joke of a vice I am starting with. Total redneck, but sometimes knowing how to Redneck something in a pinch is actually a good thing to know how to do in my book.

I learned from some real pros at it back when I was I teen working for my dads roofing company.
It didn't matter what broke, it had to be fixed on site with what you had on hand right there and then.
I could type for hours and bore you to death with my stories from those days, but suffice it to say that the real lesson I learned form that whole experience can be summed up in one word.

I learned Ingenuity way back then and have used it in my every day life ever since.
It really should be taught in schools and be as important as Math.

Ingenuity 101 taught by Redneck pros.
Ingenuity 102 taught by someone like me and couple of other guys here just to name a few.
That is the part most 'rednecks' don't get past, that being the line between taking the Fix to a real permanent Solution.

The bottom line to me is you are either an ingenious man, or you are not.
Any man is capable of becoming one, it is just difficult to try to learn what it means in a book or the net.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I think I saw Ingenuity 101 on Discovery in a couple different versions. It's true, that learning to do with what is immediately available is a crucial skill. It's easy to plop down money and time to solve problems, but ingenuity can get er done and protect the wallet.

Just today, I fixed an overhead light in a car with JBWeld and a piece of scrap plywood. I used packing tape to form a nonstick dam around the broken missing area, plywood formed the tabs and a stick made the measurements for the mounting holes which got drilled. It would have cost bucks at the dealer, even a junk yard.

I'm hoping to apply some ingenuity to my bike and get a jackshaft and shifter built.