Bike stolen Glendale, AZ 7/11/2010

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
My ditsy roommate left the garage door open yesterday afternoon and I didn’t have my bike lock on this bike and someone made off with it.

It did however have one of my CDI ignition keylocks on it so chances are they are going to try to buy a new one because it won’t run, or see if they sell it or the parts here in town.

This may just kill my new business as I sunk every cent I had into making 3 bikes to demo and now one is gone, so if you see anything please let me know.
On the bright side, if there is such a thing, is that was low end model and not the GT1 or Suede 3-speed bike.

Bike:
2WheelBikes Maui Beach Cruiser
Black Grubee 66cc Skyhawk motor, but it has the chain side ID plate removed and KC’s Kruisers 48cc stickers over the EPA sticker and over the round clutch cover.
It has no drive side tensioner but a little black tensioner on the pedal side.

If you see it it’s best to just call the cops @ 602- 26 26 151 (memorized it that way when I was kid)
Report# 2010-00979273

Thanks guys,
KC Vale

602 547-two thousand 8.
Glendale, AZ 85304
[email protected]
KC's Kruisers - Motorized Bicycles

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well Bill it's not impossible to get into my "Garport" without breaking something, so someone in the neighborhood could have known what I have but not likely.

All I know is the garage was closed at 3pm when I went to take a nap, she went to the store at 4, and when I went out at 8 the garage door was open and that bike was gone.

She swears she closed the "Garport" door but the cops looked and figured it was left open too and it was just a crime of opportunity.

My remaining two much more expensive builds are now locked up, and at least I have the satisfaction of knowing they won't be able to make it go without replacing the ignition.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I E'd the 3 local guys that do bikes here, guess what...
Aaron got a call last night from a guy with an MB he "got from a roommate that owed him money" and the bike had no spark and some kind of keyswitch on the ignition and could he buy a new CDI from him ;-}

The caller ID was blocked but the guy has to look for the part because my system works so well.
With any luck the punk will call him back and Aaron is willing to set up a sting.
Not with me (as much as I would like to teach him a lesson in person) but with the cops.

My roommate "womaned up" today too. The first thing she did when walked in from work was lay $200 cash on me and said that ya, it was probably her that left the garage door open and she would pay me back the rest.

Heck, it was as much my fault (not putting a lock on it) as hers so that is good for me.
With any luck though it will be a moot point and we catch the punk anyway.

You can scoff at my system if you like, but I'll give 2 to 1 odds that I get the guy and my bike back because of it. $17.95 for the perfect DIY parts is pretty cheap insurance.
Now we'll see if it actually pays off.
(crosses fingers)

River

Jul 9, 2010
Gainesville, FL
I E'd the 3 local guys that do bikes here, guess what...
Aaron got a call last night from a guy with an MB he "got from a roommate that owed him money" and the bike had no spark and some kind of keyswitch on the ignition and could he buy a new CDI from him ;-}

The caller ID was blocked but the guy has to look for the part because my system works so well.
With any luck the punk will call him back and Aaron is willing to set up a sting.
Not with me (as much as I would like to teach him a lesson in person) but with the cops.

My roommate "womaned up" today too. The first thing she did when walked in from work was lay $200 cash on me and said that ya, it was probably her that left the garage door open and she would pay me back the rest.

Heck, it was as much my fault (not putting a lock on it) as hers so that is good for me.
With any luck though it will be a moot point and we catch the punk anyway.

You can scoff at my system if you like, but I'll give 2 to 1 odds that I get the guy and my bike back because of it. $17.95 for the perfect DIY parts is pretty cheap insurance.
(crosses fingers)
Awesome. Yeah those key lock's are cool, I'll buy one when my kit sihps.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
excellent news !!!
I hope it all works out for you dude :)
good to see she 'womaned' up as well ;)

thanks for including me in your 'dudes I trust enough to e-mail' list as well (^)

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
excellent news !!!
thanks for including me in your 'dudes I trust enough to e-mail' list as well (^)
You bet Bill.
That is another thing I really like about the whole MB mentality.
We may be local business rivals, but when one of us suffers something like this we are all brothers.
It is a nice feeling, so thank all of you!

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
"You can scoff at my system if you like, but I'll give 2 to 1 odds that I get the guy and my bike back because of it. $17.95 for the perfect DIY parts is pretty cheap insurance.
(crosses fingers)"

Well, seems to me if it payed off it would have prevented the sommitch from getting away with it in the 1st place. Maybe if it could lock the fork instead, one couldn't have pushed/pedaled it anywhere but in circles.
Wayne's beginning to smell rodents.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well, seems to me if it payed off it would have prevented the sommitch from getting away with it in the 1st place.
That's what bike locks are for ;-}
I generally don't take the time to lock them up because I keep the garage door closed and this is a pretty low crime area, but as mentioned the roomie left it open.

The cops asked if it was locked it and said no, and what I mention above, and the one cop said that normally it is low crime area but he said in the last week the theft rate jumped around here and they think it is someone in a truck just looking for 'thefts of opportunity'.

I don't suspect a rat, or someone that has been over and seen my 3 models or they would have taken the $1000 shifter bike and not my $500 budget model.

On a good note I talked to a police defective today and told him about the call and the 'private user' caller ID and he said they might be able to trace the number but need Aarons OK.
I talked to Aaron and he agreed. What a great community huh?

It may be a dead end, but it's a lead, and I have been contacting all the vendors I can find to be on the lookout for someone in the Phoenix area looking for just a new CDI module ;-}

Last edited:

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
Hopefully that will turn out to be something of use. Although the guy could be telling the truth and he got it from his deadbeat roommate which means the officer will have to talk to him and see if he'll snitch on the guy. If someone owed me money and gave me stolen goods to pay for it I'd have no problems fingering the thief. Good luck!

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
...On the bright side, if there is such a thing, is that was low end model and not the GT1 or Suede 3-speed bike.
Is that the GT-1 from Grubee? How do you like it? Is the frame really that much heavier duty than a, lets say, standard Micargi beach cruiser? Sorry to hear about the ordeal. Hopefully it'll turn up.

Thanks,
Pat

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Is that the GT-1 from Grubee? How do you like it? Is the frame really that much heavier duty than a, lets say, standard Micargi beach cruiser?
Hi Pat,
I haven't tried the budget bike you mention but the Grubee GT1 is heavy duty.
I have some of a topic about it here http://motorbicycling.com/f41/kcs-gt1-build-tips-20577.html
I have a bunch more info I haven't gotten around to posting here yet but I will.

In short however the frame, hubs and wheels are top notch.
You don't need any fancy mounting for the motor, and with just a little shimming you don't need any chain tensioner's either, which is nice on the hub mounted sprocket it comes with.
The front shocks work well and overall frame wise a perfect bike.

Handlebar controls wise it's another story.
The metal mounting throttle with dual pull brake lever is a nice touch with a caveat...
It is not a Teeter-Totter balanced pull lever, and both cables go to the back brakes, one of which is the drum brake that so far seems useless to me.

It comes with those hard rubber grips on and the front brake lever on the left.
Well, it still needs a clutch lever put on so that left grip need come off, and two levers on that left side is not (after ~50 miles on it) very good.

I just cut those hard plastic things off both side and use foam BMX racing grips, they will stretch over the throttle barrel too.

I am going to re-cable it's brakes tomorrow and put the front and rear V-brakes on the right dual pull, and use the left lever for the drum brake if I can make it work as a sort of emergency brake with the lever offset from the clutch and dual pull front/rear brake levers orientation.

My point is with such a nice bike, it's a shame they didn't put a little more thought into the handlebar controls.
There is no way to build the thing without at least removing the left grip, so why put it on?
And besides the seat, the first thing you feel are the controls.

To me ease of operation and comfort rate pretty high. I just don't have the reflexes and endurance I had a decade or three ago ;-}

I can't dispute the frame/hub/wheel and fit quality, I am just withholding my final judgment until I make the brakes work to my satisfaction.