Attn: guys that run 100 to 1

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for the advice.. right now I am running motomaster formula premium 2 stroke motorcycle oil. I have noticed a lot of black crud being spat out all over the bottom of the bike, occasionally spitting onto my legs as well.. is this normal, or can I find a way to prevent this? I don't mind it much right now because it is summer, but when it gets cooler I do not want to have this all over my pants and shoes when going to school..
Where is the stuff coming from? Do you have a leak at the exhaust manifold? Is the muffler outlet aimed at your leg? 2 stroke engine exhaust typically is oily. Most of the oil in your fuel mix is not burned and exits through the exhaust. If you have a leak, fix it. Replace the exhaust flange gasket and properly tighten the fasteners. If the muffler outlet is the culprit then you can add a short 45 degree extension to it to direct the exhaust away from your leg/foot. This thread's subject is the use of oil formulated for a 100:1 mix. Those of us that use it do not have the oily exhaust normally asociated with 2stroke engines. Just a thought.
Tom

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I plan to switch to a 100:1 mix with ammsoil as soon as I burn what i have.. I changed my mix from 16:1 to 24:1 and have noticed less of this black crud.. I can't wait to see how my bike runs with 100:1 mix..

alphaBETAdog

Jul 2, 2010
Arid-Zona
Would any of you guys running Amsoil or Opti2 at 100:1 advocate using it right from the start rather than breaking it in with regular oil first? I'd just as well like to start with a cleaner oil right from the start if no ill effects.

Another thought about cleaner burning 100:1; as I ride through suburban neighborhoods I would rather not spew out typical 2-smoke black smoke. brnot Don't really want to piss off the enviromental minded folks. Bad enough sounding like a gardener and his leaf blower!

Also, what is the price of a top end parts if seized? Maybe $25-30 including piston, rings, gaskets? Doesn't really seem like much of a risk to prove to yourself the merits of 100:1

Oil discussions are a lot like talking religion and politics!

Jun 7, 2010
on a bike
Would any of you guys running Amsoil or Opti2 at 100:1 advocate using it right from the start rather than breaking it in with regular oil first? I'd just as well like to start with a cleaner oil right from the start if no ill effects.

Another thought about cleaner burning 100:1; as I ride through suburban neighborhoods I would rather not spew out typical 2-smoke black smoke. brnot Don't really want to piss off the enviromental minded folks. Bad enough sounding like a gardener and his leaf blower!

Also, what is the price of a top end parts if seized? Maybe $25-30 including piston, rings, gaskets? Doesn't really seem like much of a risk to prove to yourself the merits of 100:1

Oil discussions are a lot like talking religion and politics!
I was wondering the same thing. I have a new port matched motor and I want to use a pure synthetic for brake in. So what the best way to use synthetic oil for break in?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've used the Amsoil Sabre synthetic and the Opti 2 and used each from day one with nothing different for 'break in". I like the opti 2 best and it is all I use now for bikes and chainsaw at the mix ration of 100-1. No babying. Just run it.
SB

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
i'd go straight to the Opti-2. I have 10 out of 12 builds now that started on it and haven't had one. single. problem. in terms of gunk build up or other performance issues. Go to their site and click on the technology link that explains what it does in comparison to other synthetics, and you'll understand why pretty much everyone here who has tried it has become a convert. The stuff works. I found out about it when I went to my local lawn mower shop to get some after reading about it here, and the dude who runs the local shop is **a cheapskate** and runs all his equipment off of it.. why? his answer was because it works off of one mix (all 2 strokes, 1 mix as promised) and he has less time dealing with repairing the stuff for his lawn service because it really doesn't gum up the engines.. less repair time = more time for actual use..

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm getting my second engine that I plan on breaking in with Opti at 100:1.

My question is, should I still put a cap full of regular synthetic blend oil in the cylinder before the first fire up? Thats what I was instructed to do with my first engine that I broke in with maxima.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Do you use a quart less of oil in your car if you use synthetic?
I used AMSOIL in my Ranger for 11 years. It USES less oil but I mean that it never drops from the FULL line. It had 120,000 miles, a major tune-up, all hoses, belts,wars, plugs, injectors, and the only thing that failed was the clutch booster, the engine is good as new inside

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
You guys were raving about Opti-2 so I thought I would try it.

I started with a couple of gallons at my ususal 50 to 1 mix because I was nervous about possible damage from using too little oil. The performance of my engine (Tanaka 32cc) had no noticeable change.

Having some confidence that Opti-2 and my engine were getting along, I then switched to a 60 to 1 mix. I think my engine is running stronger. My top speed seems to have increased by 1 mph, downhill speed by 1 to 2 mph, and speed for climbing gentle hills by 1 to 2 mph as well.

If this holds up, my next batch of fuel will have a 70 to 1 mix. I'll let you know the results.

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
Ive used it since day one ,ive got over 700 miles so far. The guy at the counter of race brothers farm supply told me it didnt matter what the ratio was it would work. Just mix with a gallon of gas and the packet of oil. I thought yea right, so i didnt put a full gallon in can at first. He was right ive never had any problems and all the guys i run with use it and it works great.