Would you be willing to pay $400...

GoldenMotor.com

Would you be willing to pay that much for the quality?

• Yes

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
For a quality American or Japanese 4 stroke bicycle motor? I'm not talking about the Honda lawnmower type engines. I'm talking about the Whizzer style engines of the 40's and 50's. A sleek 4 stroke motor that easily fits into the frame of a bicycle.

We have a '48 - '50 Whizzer and I'm very impressed at the quality and look of this engine. As we break it in it just keeps getting stronger. I don't have the doubts about this engine that I do when considering the China motors.

Yeah I know I could buy China engines all day at dirt cheap prices. But personally for me, adding that motor to a build really cheapens the experience.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I voted no. I can buy motorcycles all day long for that kind of money, go fast, reliably and be just as illegal as I am now.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I agree if I had that kind money for a bike engine I would be looking at motorcycles. But I am sure there are some people who would pay that, the guy that got me started on motorized bikes dropped $499 for some friction drive 4 stroke. (he did little or no research and has money to blow through) and then another $800 on a bike to put it on.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I voted NO becuase I'm like fakeplay in that I just want a fun toy to play with and cruise around on, I can build 2 bikes with the 2 stroke china vibe~~~~~~!engine and on a good day with a real cheap set of bikes from yard sale or something I could have 3 bikes for $400
When I get ready for the 4 stroke bike I have in mind I will be using a Honda clone 6.5HP engine that I built that is putting out somewhere in the 13-14 HP range and those engines stock will run you about $109.00 - $129.99 @ Harbor Freight Tools, a little fabrication and BAM....! you will have a wicked 4stroke bike set up that will run circles around any of the other 4stroke kits I've seen.....

brnot

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I also voted no cause the reason they make these bike engines are cus people can't afford a moped,motorcycle or car. They should be cheap. Quality is only as good as the installer and the one who maintains it.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
the lack of quality in these engines is what makes them fun...you get the kit then before it ever sees a bike you rebuild it....ive met so many people from the folks at rocky mountain industrial supply, ace hardwear, and the people on here....its not all about riding half of the joy is all the tinkering....

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I agree, it's about the tinkering. Using "bush mechanic" tactics to keep the thing running. I paid $800 for my car, so for me, spending over $400 on a motorized bicycle is absolutely ridiculous.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
I dont get why everyone is complaining on the quality. $130 66 cc engine that bolts to basically any diamond shaped frame bicycle that makes it capable of going in excess of 30 mph is a heck of a deal. I have had my bike since last summer and the only problem i have had at all is bolts stripping. I just rethreaded them all to 1/4 20 american all thread and everything seems to work great. it starts everytime and has never left me stranded.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I voted no. I can buy motorcycles all day long for that kind of money, go fast, reliably and be just as illegal as I am now.
Thanks Joe, and to everyone else who has responded.

I will be using the "HT" 66 with a shift kit on my RockHopper project. Am in the process of gathering the components to complete the build. Don't care what it looks like, just want the function I'm after.

But personally, I would be interested in other options after this build. I'd like to do some more classic stuff going forward and was curious about other options regardless of price. Well, kinda regardless of price, of course.

JC

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I voted no, for the bikes I'll end up building on... IF I build any more MB's, will be cheapo V frame bikes, not anything that warrants an expensive engine, nor would I consider an engine over $200..