Three worksman frames :)

GoldenMotor.com

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
My buddy just dropped off three worksman bikes today but they weren't complete bikes. I know I can get two good bikes out of them with all of the parts. Only problem is the spokes are oxidized, wheels have surface rust and I gotta clean the frames down to bare metal and re paint them. Any ideas on the easiest way to clean these parts up besides spending hours and hours with sand paper? And btw I don't have access to a bead or sand blaster so thats out of the question. I have two good front rims, two good back rims, three good cranks, bottom bracket races look great, head set races are also good. One of the frames has some deep pitted rust but I'll smooth that out with a little bondo once the frames are sanded.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Not sandpaper. I use a drill with a wire wheel. I like the brass wire wheels better than the steel ones. Use eye protection. Chemical stripper can remove a lot quickly which you can scraped off with a putty knife, then use the wire wheel. If you have a side grinder, a wire wheel in that is supposed to work nicely and pretty fast. I don't have one, so can't really say. I've stripped a Worksman down this way with a drill, a couple vintage Schwinns and my 39 Elgin. Takes a while, especially if you're also doing a chain guard and fenders, but just a frame and front fork aren't too bad. A few hours, especially if you use stripper first to remove much of the paint. Stripper is nasty stuff. I've had good luck with the walmart variety, better than zip strip and less expensive. There is another kind much recommended and sold in automotive outlets that is for aircraft. I haven't tried that kind and can't say from personal experience. I tried using sandpaper on my first strip down, did another just with the wire wheel and now first use stripper and follow it up with the wire wheel. Protect your eyes! Bits of wire come off the wheel. Good luck and nice score on the bikes.
SB

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hambro,
Nice score! Since you don't have a bead blast cabinet you could take them to a number of different places to have them blasted. Any powder coating shop or automotive machine shop should be able to clean them up real quick. What are you going to do with the two "extra" frames? I know what I would do with them.............

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Lol, I have one promised out so far, not sure if the other one can be salvaged. It has some serious rust on the top bar that is pitted in about 1/8" deep. I've been looking into new wheels for them but I really can't afford them. Basically there is nothing wrong with the 2 wheel sets that came with them exept for some rust and oxidation. If I can clean them up it'll save me alot of money but were looking at cleaning each and every spoke on four wheels, time consuming to say the least. Also the cranks are in great shape except visually they need to be re-surfaced, and the head tubes and forks are also in great shape but need to be cleaned up. After alot of wire wheeling, sanding, chemical stripping and a butt load of elbow grease I'm sure I can get two whole bikes out of the two. Oh yeah, and re-painting.