"Why you put an engine on your bicycle?" and best answer goes to...

GoldenMotor.com

Why you put an engine on your bicycle? Best answer poll.

• It's better than putting pedals on a motorcycle.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • It's lots of fun, and I was bored.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I was bored and I want to annoy you.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • It has better mileage and I get some exercise.

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • It's legal!!!

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Pollution is better than perspiration.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I like riding bicycles but don't like to pedal.

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • It was a gift and can't return it, coz I like it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
For us MBers, probably, the most common question you'll hear is "Why did you put an engine/ motor to your bicycle?"

Some people makes it sound like it's a stupid silly thing to do, and it's not really that question, but it's how some people asks about it...

So vote for your best answer or response when people asks 'why on earth would you put an engine/ motor to your bicycle?':
a) It's better than putting pedals on a motorcycle.
b) It's lots of fun, and I was bored.
c) I was bored and I want to annoy you.
d) It has better mileage and I get some exercise.
e) It's legal!!!
f) Pollution is better than perspiration.
g) I like riding bicycles but don't like to pedal.
h) It was a gift and can't return it, coz I like it!

and best answer goes to...

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great question. Aside from "dunno" I would have to say it was a deep want I have had since the first time I put a baseball card in the spokes. There is all the logical stuff. MPG, green, no insurance and all that. But really it is a 30 year old day dream.

The side effects are great joy, sense of peace. Meeting folks you would not have met with out one. Education in mechanics, math, physics, bicycle repair, electronics and a speed that lets ya see the road and your surroundings.

(and still cheaper then golf!)

.flg.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The reason I started was that I wanted a second form of transportation but was too broke to pay for insurance on another vehicle. Now of course instead of scrounging for money to pay insurance I am scrounging for money to buy the next upgrade or replacement part. *sigh* I just can't win!!! :p

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
For us MBers, probably, the most common question you'll hear is "Why did you put an engine/ motor to your bicycle?"

Some people makes it sound like it's a stupid thing to do, and it's not really that question, but it's how some people asks about it...

So vote for your best answer:
a) It's better than putting pedals on a motorcycle.
b) It's lots of fun, and I was bored.
c) I was bored and I want to annoy you.
d) It has better mileage and I get some exercise.
e) It's legal!!!
f) Pollution is better than perspiration.
g) I like riding bicycles but don't like to pedal.
h) It was a gift and can't return it, coz I like it!

and best answer goes to...
I did it so I can go further....a lot faster.....carrying a lot more....and have a lot more fun doing it.....

Laughs,
Salty.shft.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I have no car anymore and i am layed off of work. I cannot peddal very far on my bike.
Im not very big so its not from lack of exercise,im actually skinny and tall,but i have bad knees and back from working and i have no health insurance and receive no disability money.
The electric bike i had would not go very far and if the wind blew it would not go at all, When the batteries needed replacing i decided to buy a gas engine kit for a bike instead and it goes faster and farther for a low price of just gas and oil and doesnt need much mantaince if any at all.

When i worked i would walk back and forth,bought a regular bike,then a electric bike,got layed off and bought a gas bike kit for work but have not been called back to work(been 1 year now).

Last edited:

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
Because I want a cheap, simple, easily-fixable motorbike with no need for title, registration or insurance and a built-in recovery system when you run out of gas :D.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
The ballons I were using before I discovered the bicycle engine,
would always pop when I got up to speed to make that rumble
sound. Wanted something that would last longer. Best investment
I have ever made.

upsrogue

Jul 14, 2009
Arizona
Mine is a little different, I walk about 3 miles and ride a PEDAL bike about 4 to 5 miles every morning and then later in the day when the weather is nice I ride the bike with the engine just for total fun, a nice freedom and total enjoyment.

NYNEOMITE

Oct 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Just like Dan, it has been a childhood dream to have a motor on a bike since I was putting cards in spokes.

When I started high school we had wood shop, metal shop, and mechanics. I was able to take wood shop and metal shop my freshman year. My sophomore year they dropped all three programs due to budget. I always wanted to learn more about engine mechanics. These little engines are perfect. Sometimes they force you to learn things - like when they strand you 8 miles from home! They are simple to work on and if you really screw up, cheap to replace.

I also have really enjoyed seeing areas of town I have never seen or noticed. When on my MB I take the back streets and find cool houses and such I would have never seen. On our bike meet last week I was in an area of town I have never seen, although I work within a couple miles.

It also fun to meet some of you through these forums. It's comforting to find people more obsessed with silly hobbies. This might be my favorite hobby yet! I am just living to ride my bike on the weekends. I can't wait to have longer days so I can go back to riding after work.

Lastly - Why wouldn't you put a motor on a bike?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I live in a very hilly town, and could not physically pedal the trailer with even 1 grandkid (now there are 2 :))
an engine allows me to take 1 to school, and her sister to the local playgrounds
I am positive that they enjoy it as much or even more than I do (^), and believe they will have fond memories of 'Grampa's bike and our trailer' :):):)

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Someone stole my weedeater and left the engine!
I didn't put the engine on there. I had the bike parked in the shed for a few days beside the engine. When I went to take a ride, I found them both like this!
This is a classic 1908 motorcycle, not a bicycle. It has just been well taken care of. I bought it new!