Fuel

GoldenMotor.com

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
When you fly, you are thought to never rely on the fuel gauge. They are notoriously faulty (unless you have a fuel metering device). Instead, you calculate your fuel need before you take off and make sure the fuel is in the tanks before you take off. Its an essential part of preflight to "actually" take the fuel cap off and see the fuel in the tank. It should give you a warm fuzzy feeling (but only if you sniff it). A good pilot can tell you how much fuel he/she has at any point in the flight without a fuel gauge. I think the same can be said for any vehicle you operate.

I don't think a sight glass is a bad idea, you would have to break a few laws of physics for it to give an improper reading. Just saying it might make you lazy.

Attachments

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
When you fly, you are thought to never rely on the fuel gauge. They are notoriously faulty (unless you have a fuel metering device). Instead, you calculate your fuel need before you take off and make sure the fuel is in the tanks before you take off.
This is exactly why I quit flying on my MB I forgot to check once.

Happy thanksgiving crew don't eat too much tommorow!.cptr.

MikesBikes

Nov 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA USA
OK, maybe someone thought of this but why not make a sort of float indicator that is fitted to the fuel tank intake neck. Take the cap off and if the pointer is not showing, you are empty, etc. Seems simple enough---make a tube with a float and mark the indicator stick. Fuel would make the stick extend and show the amount of gas in the tank. It would be easily removable to add gasoline. Maybe I'll make a few and see if they would sell. mikes

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
yep, i know, but it's all the bits and pieces you'd need to retrofit into a cap if you were feeling adventurous. On top of that the guy running that auction site says he'll go above and beyond the listed items to help people out. So there is the possibility with his vast array of resources that something could be found if a day with some silver solder and a dremel aren't your bag..