HT Tandem Motorized Biycle Running great

GoldenMotor.com

Trikelops

Nov 5, 2009
Missouri
Got my new tandem runnin yesterday. Its a $50, 60's I think Vista-Duo, 24" Whizzer wheels that have been collecting dust and 50 tooth rear sprocket. Had to make the intake do a 45, 1/2 copper 45 and 5/8 heater hose, works fine. 2 chains were kinda long so I made an additional flat idler out of some nylon that was on the shelf. It guides top and bottom of the chain. Had to extend the coaster arm by welding two flat washers to it and shaping the inside to the oblong hole with a die grinder and a file. I used a rag joint on the inside and the outside to space past the 2.125 tire(after I gave my new tire that COOL buzzsaw design with the rubbing chain). Then I clearanced the rear middle strut for the chain by removing the inside half. All seems to be fine now have ridden it about 50mls. about 5 with my wife on the rear.
Seems to have plenty of power (I weigh 275 and my wife is 130ish) the Whizzer drum brake is reassuring since I'm runnin a coaster on th rear. Gonna ride it a few more miles and then disassemble it for paint as soon as it looks like no more welding is done, got to make longer chain guard and reinforce the forks. It acts like it runs cool enough but I havent really pushed too hard during break-in. This forum is great I have been watching for awhile and decided to jump in.
Sorry about the cell phone quality photos.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Re: HT Tandem Running great

Food delivery! Can make 20 or 30 bucks an hr delivering pizza. Comes in handy when ya get "down sized" (hehe, don't ask me how I know)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

LOL Fin. His/her (Sorry, dunno) name is "Trikelops"

I actually was gonna change that, for that but got a beer and forgot, snork

Last edited:

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI

Like the Tandem. Similar to mine, and I like how you also took care of the chanin vibes. Gonna keep a vintage look? Nice ride. Just another way to make family time special.

Alajoyn
Portage, MI
'93Trail Mate Tandem @ 85lbs
Stock 66cc HT kit + xtra chain.

Trikelops

Nov 5, 2009
Missouri

Thanks for all you comments on this bike I will try to post some other bike pics soon.
Have ridden my tandem about another 100mls, everything seems fine. The frame is a little flexi but we only seem to notice when we are stopped. The speed (about 15mph) without pushin it, is just fine for cruisin our little one horse town(actualy lots of Amish here) they seem to give us a look of approval LOL.
We are planning to keep it sorta vintage looking and add some baskets, my buddies here in town that I have build 4 MBs for say its allready a little too (Fluffy Lookin) but I'm havin too much fun to be ALL THAT COOL. The chain is so quiet that from now on I will be using this sort of chain tensioners on all my builds.
Have got another tandem to build for someone else.