Rear Sprocket on Disc Brake Wheel

GoldenMotor.com

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
My bike has two disc brakes instead of v-brakes so my wheel hubs have flanges that extend outwards in order to hold the disc in place. Unfortunately, this keeps me from putting the rear sprocket on the wheel... Are these wheel hub pieces generally removable or do I need to either get the disc brake sprocket adapter or a new rear wheel? I would prefer the sprocket adapter but I didn't get any response from King Sales and Service when I left a message about their top hat adapter. Is there anyone else who can make me a sprocket?

Anyway, here is a picture which will hopefully help illustrate the problem...

Thanks.

Attachments

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
hey bud i had that same problem but i chose to take advantage of it but still on my way and waiting for the sprocket addapter to fix my problem, i had ordered some sprockets and a addapter from kings sale and service and never received them but apparently they were shipped out so somewere upsp messed up, well meanwhile what i did was trace the 6 6m wholes from my disk ontop the sprocket and used the original screws to secure the sprocket onto the hub, you have to b percise its a tight fit the wholes were almost to close together to make the diameter of the sprocket but i got it to work the only problem i have now is the chain is not lined up with the engine so it wants to jump of the sprocket i just put lots of grese on the chain and the chain tensioner seems to be holding it in place i ended up ordering another addapter and im currently waiting on this one :)

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
i forgot to mention after you trace the wholes on your srocket you do need to drill them threw the sprocket in case you didint get it:p

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
i forgot to mention after you trace the wholes on your srocket you do need to drill them threw the sprocket in case you didint get it:p
I'll give that a shot. I guess that I'll just pick up a drill, trace the holes, and hopefully drill precisely. Are there any downsides to doing this versus going with a Tophat adapter?

Thanks

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
the downside is where the sprocket will be in relation to your engine
I had to space mine closer to the wheel
I cut out the center of the sprocket and bolted it inside a disc rotor
I adjusted the spacing with washers until I got it right, then exchanged washers for the same thickness of nuts
I hope that made sense and helps !!!:)

Attachments

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
Yah i would go with Bills idea unfortunetly i didint think that far ahead but instead just found a way to keep the chain on and its been working fine for me but i did have head aches with it, good job Bill thats a way cheaper alternative than the top hat sprocket that ive been trying to get my hands on for almost 2 months, i purchased a 50 tooth sprocket from some guy of ebay for 10 bucks but its designed for the top hat adapter, you guys think these bikes can haul threw snow if you put a good engine together (quality bearing, dellroto carb, and planning on putting a expansion chamber on it :D) and a 50 toth sprocket that has to increase the torque i dont mind that ill b loosing top end its cold out anyways

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI All,

Sorry I haven't been around here lately (crazy busy BUT in this economy I am thankful)....

Best way to get a hold of me is on the cell 434-760-6924 Or faster still is simply ordering off the myspace page...

Lots of interesting reading since I've been on here last!

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Andrew

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
the downside is where the sprocket will be in relation to your engine
I had to space mine closer to the wheel
I cut out the center of the sprocket and bolted it inside a disc rotor
I adjusted the spacing with washers until I got it right, then exchanged washers for the same thickness of nuts
I hope that made sense and helps !!!:)
Bills wheel works very well, I have 650 or so miles on it behind a HF engine and I don't know how many miles that Bill put on it. It is rock solid and easy to change sprockets on.

Attachments

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
glad the wheel is working well for you Elmo :),,,
I can't remember how many miles I put on it, but there were a bunch of them
that wheel taught me to use a quality product ;)

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
i ran into the same problem with the sprocket not fitting over the disc break mount. to get around it the first time i tried to take a grinding bit and a dremmel to open up the center hole. that turned out to be time consuming and horribly inaccurate. eventually i found a local machinist and had him mill out the center to a proper diameter. this allowed me to use the stock sprocket mount. i did end up upgrading to andy's tophat adapter, witch if you can get it its awesome! you may have to do some adjusting to get a good chain line, but that can be done with washers and a bit of grinding the bolts down for good clearance. if you got the right tools its not hard to figure out.