First time installing bike, need help

GoldenMotor.com

Doopmaster

Jul 27, 2011
Orlando
Okay so I have installed my first engine and narrowed down all the problems I had with it to just to a few.. Please help!
1. Clutch is not releasing the back wheel, when I try to pedal before I start the bike it requires a lot of force to get the engine cog to spin.
2. I have not installed the Chain idler, the chain keeps coming off. Do I need to install chain idler?
The engine turns on and everything, I just have these two problems, please help!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Is there too much slack in the clutch cable??

Yes, you need to either have a chain tensioner, or shim the engine forward to take up the excess chain slack.
Also, if there's no slack & the chain is still coming off? make sure the rear sprocket is bolted perfectly centered on the wheel & with no side to side wobble!!!

Last edited:

Doopmaster

Jul 27, 2011
Orlando
How tight does it have to be?? How will I exactly know when it is tight enough cause I tightened it to what it seems to be like 2-3/16ths of an inch.. As for the chain, since i didnt have an idler on the bottom chain there is some deflection for the bottom and the top, is that the problem? In the manual it says that the bottom chain has to be tight and the top have some deflection?

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
Make sure you have a good straight alignment of the chain from the rear sprocket to the front sprocket. Without that your chain could come off often. Put the tensioner on the bottom chain to take up any slack.

Doopmaster

Jul 27, 2011
Orlando
I think that is the problem, it isnt because Im using a standard bike chain either? I know the 415 will help and im planning on getting one, but I think the problem is that it isnt straight from rear axle to engine axle.. Any suggestion on how this can be done easily?