Excuse my stupidity, but what's a Clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I know nothing about motors. I've been around this forum for a week or so waiting for my grubee kit in the mail, and I still don't know what a clutch is X(.

Could anyone explain?

Sorry for my newbie-ness!

Rallyfish

Jun 23, 2011
Iowa
In short, a clutch is a device that helps to engage/disengage a source of power and connecting it to a source of movement/expidenture of work. In these motors a centrifugal clutch is used, the transfer of power is made by having a few pads that are connected together on the driveshaft by few tough springs that expand as the speed of the driveshaft increases. As the speed increases the springs are no longer strong enough to hold the pads together and they start to spread apart and eventually come into contact with the inside wall of what is essentially a tube. When that happens the "tube" starts to spin and you have movement of your chain/belt/mower blades/string trimming wire or a thousand other applications. A google search can fill in details but the above should work as a basic level of understanding. = ) Hope I helped!

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
OK thank you, that was very helpful.

So, the brake-like lever that comes in the kit is the clutch, and I have to hold it down while I twist the throttle?

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Kind of. The type of clutch that you will have with the kit you got will have the lever. You will hold the lever in to pedal around without the motor engaged other wise it is very hard to pedal. You hold in the lever to get some speed then let it out to engage the drive to start the motor.the only time you will really use the lever is to start and stop.

To stop. When you are ready to stop you hold down the lever so the motor stays running and dont stall out. keep it in when stopped. then to go again pedal to get some speed and give a little throttle and let it out agian and your off.

Hope this helps,
ToxicAz

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

Terms you will see..disengaged Means that you are pulling on the handle lever and the bike will roll without the engine turning.
engaged Means hands off the handle lever and the engine will turn..that is if adjusted correctly.

Last edited:

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
Brother John - That was a little tongue in cheek and not very nice. We all have to start somewhere. After all these kits do come with an instruction book. Enjoy the ride as I do not want to start a feud. The more the merrier in this game. When the automatics come out there will be a million clutch assemblies for sale on this site.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. Now it makes a lot more sense.

Brother John, I really don't appreciate the negativity. I knew that my purchase was a D.I.Y. kit to give my bike an engine. I assumed that it would be a learning experience and would take some work, but would be fun nonetheless.

I don't know a lot, but I'm learning.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Kevin, welcome.

Really is a fun thing and your gonna be amazed at all these crazy things can teach ya. A year from now you will be posting and helping folks. Really is a blast and a great teacher.

Never worry about asking questions. LOL, you should and prolly will see some of mine. ...and I been at this for a good bit.

brother john

Jun 25, 2011
Indy
I tried to apologize to the kid in my own way but it got deleted... scraping your knuckles and bending wrenches is apart of working on things or at least it has been for me...maybe Im just jealous kid because I had to learn the hard way...we didnt have internet...I still think he would be better off buying one put together and learn by working on it but I'm almost an idiot so prove me wrong kid! Never hurts to have a little extra motivation....

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
i knew nothing about motors before i bought my first kit.. and through the steps of building, riding and fixing i have learned alot in a short time. im not trying to take this hobby lightly. but its not hard to figure out with some good old common sense. and all the good reading on this forum.

this is a good place to start to learn about motors.. there small, cheep and alot of fun. they are not to hard to fix on your own. parts are also cheep and plentiful. and if i can build them im betting almost anyone that really wants to can do it.

i say give the kit a try and have fun with it... good luck, dont give up. keep asking questions and read as much as you can when your not riding or fixing your ride.:)

brother john

Jun 25, 2011
Indy
Well you see there you go it just aint fair that someone that aint had a lick of grease and engine grime under their fingernails can throw one of theses things together...I guess that speaks to the manufacturer...like I said in my post that got deleted... My bad...carry on...More power to ya!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Read this section if you have not yet: Classic Instructions for Building and Repairing Motorized Bicycle Engine Kits - Motorized Bicycle: Engine Kit Forum
It will teach you a heck of alot and prepare you with the knowledge on what to do to the kit before you start to install it on the bicycle and a whole lot more.

Also, Norman has shared his wealth of knowledge with us in his own section:
http://motorbicycling.com/f39/
He is a guru with these engines.

Each engine has it's own quirks, and they also share similar ones too.
Please don't hesitate to ask questions if you get stuck, and don't be afraid to use the search function either. I can answer alot of questions easier by searching for the answers and linking to the threads rather than typing out a long post.

Have fun, and be safe!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
brother john, I'm not sure why you'd think it "unfair" for someone to try something new or to avail themselves of any and all resources at their disposal, such as the internet & this forum...

Honestly? If anything I respect their humility - they're not afraid to admit a lack of knowledge, I applaud their desire to experiment - it's the best way to educate themselves, I'm even somewhat surprised at their wisdom - they've chosen one of the simplest motors available as an opportunity to both learn and have some fun while they're at it.

It's refreshing to see such in today's instant gratification culture, I only wish more would dare to have such an adventurous spirit (^)

If this particular topic is something that interests you, I would suggest you create a thread of your own to discuss it as the OP is obviously trying to learn about small engines - not so much what you may think of their decision.

Last edited:

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
Well you see there you go it just aint fair that someone that aint had a lick of grease and engine grime under their fingernails can throw one of theses things together...I guess that speaks to the manufacturer...like I said in my post that got deleted... My bad...carry on...More power to ya!
its not fair to tell someone to scrap there project before they even start if you ask me. whats a better way to learn about motors then with a small two stroke? simple cheep and not over the top for a first time rider.

if you never start then you will never get the grease and engine grime under your finger nails that i guess it takes to build a motorized bike? then your stuck buying one and paying to have it fixed. taking what i think is half the fun out of the hobby..

i guess some people are born knowing what a clutch is. and for the rest of us we should leave the bike building to the pros? i guess im just not seeing the unfair part... unfair to who? and why?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
its not fair to tell someone to scrap there project before they even start if you ask me. whats a better way to learn about motors then with a small two stroke? simple cheep and not over the top for a first time rider.

if you never start then you will never get the grease and engine grime under your finger nails that i guess it takes to build a motorized bike? then your stuck buying one and paying to have it fixed. taking what i think is half the fun out of the hobby..

i guess some people are born knowing what a clutch is. and for the rest of us we should leave the bike building to the pros? i guess im just not seeing the unfair part... unfair to who? and why?
1959 or so, Go to the Moon...are you out of your mind? Right? And now you want to build station, what is this world coming to.

Last edited:

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Thanks guys, I really, really appreciate the help.

I already printed out the guide earlier to preparing the bike and engine, I brought it with me to go buy supplies XD

SO excited for my Engine!

It's ok brother John. I took the criticism constructively anyway, so don't worry about it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is one of the coolest parts about the China Girls (2 stroke kit engines) Their simplicity. I to had never turned a wrench on an engine and was dumbfounded by how really simple they are.

Man! and the first time she lights off and carries you! You feel like the smartest kid on the block, all that, a bag of chips and a rum and coke. Right up until some thing shakes lose or falls off, snork.

brother john

Jun 25, 2011
Indy
yeah but as cute and cuddly as these china girls are you gotta remember they can still chew your fingers off if your not careful...