At what point --buy motorcycle ?

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
For $130 a month for a KLR Kawasaki 650 i can get a motorcycle - no constant tinkering or experimentation -seem to spend lots on bicycles with limited speed - safety and range. Could keep up with traffic and really go off road -am i tempted ! ( but alas no exercise- or shall i say exorcism?)

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
For $130 a month for a KLR Kawasaki 650 i can get a motorcycle - no constant tinkering or experimentation -seem to spend lots on bicycles with limited speed - safety and range. Could keep up with traffic and really go off road -am i tempted ! ( but alas no exercise- or shall i say exorcism?)
It's a decision everyone has to make for themselves. I have a good friend who always says:

Everything in life is a trade off, the trick is getting what's right for you at any particular time and place.
If it suits your needs and budget, then go for it. Not the case for myself but many into MBs do so for entry into two-wheeled motor sports for short money and/or because they lost their license.

Personally, and for a number of reasons, I really don't want a motorcycle. I've had them and pretty much done with that.

I am into bicycles, ride and own a dozen or so from road bikes to downhill Mtn bikes so motorizing them as I get older with quiet, efficient little motors just seems for me to be a good fit.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
It all depends on your end goal
My end goal is to make something entirely my own that can transport me at relatively high speeds.....Thats it, it's not a replacement for other transport, I don't need it to get me somewhere everyday. It's just fun for me!

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
To me the motor bike is a hobby akin to building a model. I can go out in the garage and futz around some. I'm really in no hurry to finish it. If you need reliable transportation and have a licence, then maybe a motorcycle is the answer for you. I like the romance of the motorized bicycle more than the long term transportation aspect.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I wouldn't buy a motorcycle. But that's because I don't want a motorcycle, I want a motorized bicycle. And hey look! I have one!

Joking aside though, if you don't like tinkering with things, then maybe the motorcycle would suit you better.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
The thing with a Motor(ized) Bike is you don't need a license or insurance. For some people(like me), a 'real' bike isn't an option. We're just glad to be putting around on something with an engine. If you have the option and can afford it, go for it, get a real bike. At least you'll be able to go on the highway and/or Girls won't laugh at you for being on a 'cycle.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Actually the tinkering and "unreliability" is 80% of the fun for me. I already have reliable transpofrtation and if my bike were as reliable as my truck it'd probably be sitting in the corner collecting dust.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I have to agree the tinkering is half the fun, I could not spend twenty bucks and a month of tinkering to upgrade a motorcycle. If I had the budget and the facilities to do to cars and motorcycles what I can do to my bike, I might give up the bike, but then the twelve year old kid in me might be disappointed...

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I just want to run errands, so the motorbike works for me. That KLR can take you across town on the freeway and take the trail to your favorite fishin spot.
I am a former dual purpose motorcycle rider and I fully understand your dilemna. I also have teenage kids and I don't want them to buy a Ninja and join a stunt riding club! Otherwise, I would have probably bought myself a Buell Blast by now.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Tinkering on them is 80% of the fun for me too. I make my builds complicated intentionally so the building process takes a long time. My first bike took 8 months. Now it is done and I ride it here and there but it mostly sits and I start building another one.

I have had my share of motorcycles and they are the opposite for me. Way more fun to ride and less fun to tinker on. I would consider them two totally different hobbies.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Thanks guys --every once in a while i think ive had it with the MB then tonight i saw a Honda goldwing and no i would not trade and realistically financing is not as attractive as debt free-- licence free-- even tho the 650 would be great. Also a trip to Prince George on a MB is an odessy but on a motorcycle its all been done before --i do like to be different.

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
I never looked at owning my MC's as a hobby. These motorbikes replace the Lincoln Logs, tinker toys and erector sets from childhood. Build something then go play with it!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've owned plenty of motorcycles in my life so far....raced them for years infact. These little MB's are not a stepping stone or a vehicle because of a lost or suspended license, infact I've always held a class1 motorcycle license since I was 16yrs. old. A motorcycle is just another addition to my always expanding two-wheeled collection of toys. I ride them all and love them all for what they are...they're simple! And FUN!

And as a side note, I still have stand-up BladeZ scooters with 46cc 2-stroke that will blow the doors off of any of my motorized bikes...52mph on flat ground!!! Smokin'

Last edited: