shorten/lengthen throttle cable?

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
You know how the throttle cable has the small little nub on the end of it that fits into the throttle arm on the carb? and then has a larger circle nub on the other end that fits into a throttle twist grip and will also fit inside a bicycle brake lever? Is is possible to shorten or lengthen one of these cables, or would I have to order one to size to fit my custom build needs?

Thanks,

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
make your own! ask norm how he made his using some phone wire and solder. I used a electrical connection for mine! a small spade/fork like connection, burn off the insulation on connection,mark cable from the end-about 40-45mm, slip on the connection and solder to cable, then clean-up with a dremmel tool and wa-la new cable!

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
O.K. so maybe I'm retarded. It has been a long while since i have soldered something, but something needed to be done quick. I started my bike today at the mall, and it popped a wheelie and started to go down the street without me after i pull started it due to a congested/rigged throttle cable. You should have seen it, it was a sight, everyone was looking at me as I was running down the street with my bike trying to control it after it was wanting to leave without me. So something needed to be done quick. I watched Norm's Youtube video, and went in and bought a propane torch kit, that has everything with it for $20.00 at Lowes. It had the propane, the torch, silver bearing solder, flux, and a brush.

I make my little nub out of copper wire, dip it in flux, and heat it(tin the two properties) and then try and add solder to it to make a union, but the solder just forms a bubble and dribbles off of the nub.

What am I doing wrong? Did I get the wrong solder? or will silver bearing solder work?

Thanks,

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
sometimes it doesn't want to stick. usually means it's too hot.

my method is set it up like Norm says, then lay it down on a brick. you might have to put a wrench or something on either side to keep it flat on the brick, but that way, the cable lies in a puddle of solder if it runs off.

keep alternating between heat and solder, until the solder builds up around it. then just grind down the excess.

also, make sure it's on there good. if the nub falls off, guess where it ends up?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Small End Of Throttle Cable

I Have Used The Crimp On Fishing Leader Sleeves Of Proper Size For The Diaphram Style Carbs, Even Put And Extra One On.

Will Have To Look At One Of My Slide Style Carbs And See If There Is Enough Room For The Length.

I Have A Couple Box`s Of 50 Copper Stop Sleeves In Different Size`s.
They Could Be Soldered Or Crimped. "mcmaster-carr.com" Part # 871-32-b Copper Stop Sleeves. They Have Many Size`s. I Crimped One On Over A Yr Ago On A Titan 4 Stroke, No Problems.

Dab Of Solder Is A Strong Bond.

Bait Shops And Wally World Should Have A Large Selection Of Leader Sleeves.

Ron

Last edited:

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Same idea worked for me. I gave up last night trying to make the solder seep into the two metals. I used a cable end. You know the ends that crimp on the end of a derallieur cable to keep the cable from fraying? I clipped off the end, and fed the cable thru, and crimped it on.

I'm sure the soldering technique is a better way, and will last longer, but something needed to be done quick.

Thanks,

NEAT,

By the way, I have been meaning to ask you......................................... and speaking fishing..........................

Was looking at your scooterguy build at one time. Did you use PENN Fishing reel seat clamps to make your engine mounting plate fasten/attach to your bicycle frame?

If you wanna post a link in this thread, I will not be offended. I have been having difficulties trying to find that thread/build.

Thanks,

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
That cable end could slip off and end up in the carb or engine! When I did this mod with the solder I put the paste flux on like you did then light the torch. Then I put the flame on the wire the same time I put the solder up to it. I didn't pre heat the wire and the solder flowed perfectly. I think when you pre heat or tin it burns the flux and it doesn't work as well.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Albula

Actually The Protective Cable End Is What I Used On The Titan Carb, Then I Ordered The Box`s Of Copper Sleeves. The Cable End Is Still On. But, I Have An Atv Thumb Throttle With An Adjustable Stop Screw. It Prevents Excess Pull On The Cable End.

I Never Got Around To Starting A Thread On The Shifter Build. I Maybe Should, It Is My Main Ride, Really Enjoy The Shifter. Scooter Guy Web Site Is Down, I Think Because Of The Bad Economy!!

I Will Start A Thread Soon, As His Site Is Down.

The Mount`s Are From "mcmaster-carr.com" They Stock Over 480,000 Items, They Are On Page 1500. This Model Has A Steel Plate On Both Sides, Found Them After My Build Was Done.

Have Been Ride`n The Bike A Yr Now, Mounts Are Working Great. They Could Be Used For China Girl motor Mounts Also. The 1 1/4" Pipe Clamp Is $2.95, They Go To 4". Shipping for a nice order is usuall $4.95, often have it the next day!!

They Hold Great, Had To Adjust For Chain Stretch At First. Plan On A Spring Tensioner, And A Chain Guard Some Day!! And A Much Neater Mounting Plate!! Lol She Is Not Pretty, But Cooks Good = The Bike!! ron .cvlt1

I Will Enclose A Couple Pic`s. Ron PS PAGE 1500 FOR THE BEST CLAMPS!!!

Attachments

Last edited: