Replacment gasket tip

GoldenMotor.com

FlyingHorse87

Jun 27, 2010
Jeannette, PA
I have about 50 miles on my bike now and the carburetor started leaking today. When I took the bowl off I noticed the gasket was pinched and had a tear in it. I could've ordered a new one but didn't want to wait for a replacement. I thought I'ld share my method of replacing it since everybody here has been so helpful with my beginer questions.

Some people use Permatex black to seal fuel leaks, I really don't care to use it because it's so messy but it does work. It can also come loose and clog the jets or needle valve. What I use is FEL-PRO rubber-fiber gasket part # 3157, it comes in a sheet 10''x26''x1/32'' thick. I've used it before for many different applications and it has always worked well. It's easy to trace the shape of the gasket and cut it out with a hobby knife, it cost around $5.00, and there's enough material to make replacement gaskets for the whole engine!

This gasket material works for oil, fuel, and water, but I WOULD NOT recommend using it as an exhuast gasket unless you back it with a piece of sheet steel. If you need extra clearance you can make two and stack them with no difficulty. It also has a 12 month warranty, but I've never had a claim with it. Some of the more experienced members may already know about using this product, but I decided to share it for other people that are also new to this hobby.

Evan

Last edited: